TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

UK 68 AMC Ambassador right hand drive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quatermass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UK 68 AMC Ambassador right hand drive
    Posted: Aug/03/2019 at 7:32pm
Hello AMC owners.

I'm completely new to AMC ownership. I've been buying and fixing up old British vehicles for a number of years and always promised myself I'd eventually buy a big American car.

After exploring a number of different options I found myself coming back time and time again to one particular car... a metallic blue right hand drive 68 AMC Ambassador SST.

The car seems to have been well looked after and lived indoors for most of its life. The only problem is... it has no interior. And being a right hand drive car, that's not going to be an easy thing to replace I suspect.

I have literally only just agreed and secured the purchase of the vehicle today, and I actually wont take possession of it until the last week of August for various reasons. 

But I thought I may as well start a progress thread for the car and use all the available images I have of it for now, which are the images taken from the sale ad (with apologies and acknowledgements to the picture taker)

Here it is...

Quatermass View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quatermass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2019 at 7:40pm
Some of these pictures are a little out of date. The car has had some work done since they were taken, for example it now wears a different brake master cylinder and servo.

I'm not quite sure what happened to the interior, and given the relative rarity of this car I'm not sure I'll ever be able to replace with original. I may have to do my best with a custom designed dashboard unless I find one in Australia and it can be shipped half way around the world.

The car had an engine bay fire at some point caused by a braided hose splitting. So it also wears a cooking patch on the hood which I will eventually repair if I can find a good match or a paint code to work with. That's a long way down my list of jobs though. First of all I need to get the dash sorted so I can at least drive it!

This car was actually first registered in the UK, in 1967, which is somewhat confusing given it's a 68 car. It was apparently owned by a then famous drag racer. It may have had a larger engine fitted at some point in it's life as the previous owner said he has some pics of the car on a drag strip. 

It now carries what looks to be a stock 343ci engine though, so I presume it didn't go drag racing in bone stock 343 form.

Well, that's my car. Nothing will happen until end of August when I get my hands on it, and I dare say progress will be quite slow. But I hope to post up progress here as and when things happen.

=)

Edited by Quatermass - Aug/03/2019 at 7:51pm
3904speed View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3904speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2019 at 8:20pm
Looks like a fun car!! Godspeed
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2019 at 12:09am
Nice looking ride!  No interior?  Did the seller take the seats out?  
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quatermass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2019 at 3:06am
No seats are still there. It's the rest that's gone! :)
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2019 at 2:22pm
Another source you might look into is US right hand drive postal Ambassadors. Someone posted here not to long ago about one in a local junkyard...
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quatermass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2019 at 2:32pm
great, thank you... any lead is good to explore right now.
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2019 at 5:40am
My 68 Javelin was bought new here in Winnipeg, Canada on september 26,1967. I would imagine your car was bought in the UK sometime between then and christmas.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 7:35am
Obviously built as a drag race car at some point. At least you have the seats! Door panels and dash will be hard to source, but there is good news... Ambassador and Rebel interchange, and a later model Matador (all but the 74-78 Coupe) dash will fit with only slight modification.  All 67-78 big car bodies are essentially the same, with some differences over the years. Rebel/Matador has a different wheelbase, but from the cowl back are essentially the same as the Ambassador in all dimensions. Wheelbase stretch is all in front of the cowl!
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic