TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

401 over bored fix this ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 1:29pm

That looks like to me it's in not bad of shape..
Considering what I started with..
.30 over cleaned up nicely too.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
austinsamx74 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinsamx74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

Originally posted by austinsamx74 austinsamx74 wrote:

I definitely don't think it's worth the 1k asking price but that's my opinion
I think you are 100% correct. A perfect standard bore block is worth about $700.

Tom
so this about $400 too $500 engine ??
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 2:16pm
Just for the record I'm a PITA for the machinist. If I had the equipment I would machine blocks myself, but no.
 IF it needs boring I send them with a slight taper and the ridge gone just so the machinist has to align to the crankshaft bore and dial in the correct bore spacing. The cost is the same but you do not get a machinist that will use the top and just bore from #1/#2 back and not check/measure everything else.
On this block I would hone and then have them first sonic check it. No need to do a sonic after boring if you know you have the material for the bore. Also would have a couple of piston sets lined up just so when it does get bored the machinist has a piston in hand.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 11:58pm

Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

I definitely don't think it's worth the 1k asking price but that's my opinion
I think you are 100% correct. A perfect standard bore block is worth about $700.

Tom
so this about $400 too $500 engine ??
Like I said, A perfect standard bore block (block only) is around $700 so depending on how it looked it's probably worth $300-$400 for just the block. Here's the problem with a 401. The factory only recommended a .020" over bore. They get thin around the head bolt on some blocks so that is why you sonic test them. Most blocks do fine on the street with a .030" but when you get up around .060" they over heat on street engines because the walls are getting really thin and they vibrate causing the coolant to not make contact with the cylinders. This is not an issue on a drag car because you only use it for a few seconds and then it can cool off again before the next pass. Before I bought that block I would also want to see what #4 main and #4 main cap look like. This is the one that burns up on a lot of 401 engines from lack of oil. If it's a dark blue in this area pass on the block too.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2019 at 7:09am
Depends on where you are and how hard the blocks are to find. Still, I wouldn't give $1000 for a block that needs to be bored and at least one cylinder sleeved. It's about $100 a hole to sleeve (depending on location!). What do the others look like, and do you know for sure it's a standard bore block?

$1000 wouldn't be bad for a standard bore block that's ready to run, depending on where you are, but not for one that needs more than just a little clean-up (more than a simple hone and hot tank). You can start by finding out how much it would cost to bore all 8 holes 0.030" over and how much to sleeve a hole, then how many holes might need sleeving. Subtract that from the $1000 asking price. That would be my max offer.

I'm thinking it's a $400-500 or so block, but again, depends on demand in your area. If it's rare and no one in the area wants it, it's not worth much. If it's advertised widely someone who can't find one locally might be willing to pay more and ship it -- depends on how bad they want/need one.
Frank Swygert
WallyMax69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WallyMax69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2019 at 11:33am
If I may -

I have a 390 from my '69 AMX. It took extra effort to remove the pistons. I've got it at the machinist now, checking it out t o see if it is usable. He says, very much so, and I would like your all's opinion.

One barrel shows a crack that he says might come out at .040, might need to go .060. Worst case - one sleeve.

Typically, what is the max I want to bore this block?

I am interested in getting the block to a salable condition - a known quantity (quality). I already acquired and rebuilt a block to put in my project and I am trying to lighten my load.

I have a crank too, but I don't yet know the condition.

I'll take a stab - what would these two be worth, as is or after the cylinders are verified/reconditioned?

thanks, and I dropped in on this post because it already had the intended audience, if I should post elsewhere - feel free to direct me.

- W

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2019 at 1:57pm
WallyMax69 - did you see in the Wanted section where someone in Europe is looking for a Std / Std 390 Crank ?  I'd think folks would want the parts as-is so they can determine what to do as the execute their build, but that's just one man's opinion.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2019 at 6:41am
I concur. Get it checked by a shop that will verify it's a sound block, but don't machine unless requested.
Frank Swygert
WallyMax69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WallyMax69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2019 at 10:25am
So it looks like one hole will need sleeve. a 2nd one is iffy. The other 6 will need a slight (.020 - .030?).

I will be looking to let go of this.

I hope to learn of the crank's condition soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic