TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T5 clutch pedals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichieN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 clutch pedals
    Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 1:21am
I am looking at a t5 swap in my 74 javelin that was an automatic car. What's the best clutch pedal options? Thanks in advance. 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 12:27pm
The best pedal option would be a manual transmission donor car. It all just bolts in and is the easiest and safest for the steering column. My opinion.
Going hydraulic or manual linkage after this is for the clutch is either OEM or the many posts on the hydraulic options.
Just adding a pedal and putting in a shortened brake pedal is really a lot more work, brackets, mount points, leverage ...

Edited by Trader - Jun/24/2019 at 12:59pm
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 2:36pm
A clutch and brake pedal setup from a 70 through 74 Javelin or AMX will fit perfectly in your car.

javjav sells the bellcrank (z bar) for the 70 to 74 Javelin/AMX. He's always got an add in the for sale section.

The pushrods and linkage, springs, the piece that bolts to the engine and carries one end of the bellcrank along with the throw out lever that goes through the bell and the metal pivot ball and a multi pattern bell  and the boot that goes over the lever arm are some of the other parts needed.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 2:39pm
There's a post or several posts on here about most of this.

Don't forget the bushing that goes into the strut rod bracket to hold the other end of the bellcrank and the boots fits of that. You can either drill a 3/4 hole in the strut rod bracket on the car or get one that was drilled at the factory.

Oh, the other end gets a bushing as well. The nylon bushings that the parts vendors sell as original replacements don't last but a few years at best. Get bronze bushings from Aircraft Spruce, there's a post on here about that too.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 2:42pm
These parts, especially the pedals are getting more rare as time goes on. I don't remember reading that anyone is making new pedals. However the vendors do carry the pads that go on the pedals.

Some of the other stuff is aftermarket reproduced.

javjav makes a few other pieces for this setup as well, check his adds in the for sale section

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Jun/25/2019 at 8:09am
RichieN View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichieN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 11:29pm
Thanks guys. I just found the car and gonna try to save it. Just signed up. I'm sure I'll need your help more.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic