TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

66 Rebel Strut Rod Bushings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2020 at 12:59am
If this helps.. And it may. The strut rod nuts from my 1963 chevy nova are the same size as the rambler. In fact I can thread the rambler nut onto the nova rod. My car is a 66 rambler classic. Chevy's have more of an aftermarket backing. I would check with galvins american parts depot kennedy american or ?? the other one I can't think of the name of right now lol.

Edited by First_Gear - Apr/17/2020 at 1:03am
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2020 at 3:47am
AMC used many different types of strut rod bushings and washers over the years. You should be careful to use the correct washers with the correct bushings and to orient the washers correctly for the type of bushings you are using. The washers had their cupped sides positioned differently depending on the type of bushing. Consult your correct year factory service manual, or the correct year of service manual for the type of bushings you are using.

Late model AMC (such as Eagle) strut rod bushings are my favorite. They are a two piece design, and are cone shaped to allow for more compression of the bushing when the tires hit bumps compared to the earlier bushings (such as Hornet). This makes for a much smoother and quieter ride. Most of the road noise and small shocks in an AMC comes up through the strut rods.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2020 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

AMC used many different types of strut rod bushings and washers over the years. You should be careful to use the correct washers with the correct bushings and to orient the washers correctly for the type of bushings you are using. The washers had their cupped sides positioned differently depending on the type of bushing. Consult your correct year factory service manual, or the correct year of service manual for the type of bushings you are using.

Late model AMC (such as Eagle) strut rod bushings are my favorite. They are a two piece design, and are cone shaped to allow for more compression of the bushing when the tires hit bumps compared to the earlier bushings (such as Hornet). This makes for a much smoother and quieter ride. Most of the road noise and small shocks in an AMC comes up through the strut rods.

Could one use an eagle strut rod bushing in an early big body car?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2020 at 11:05am
Yes.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic