TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cowl Induction Cleaner Assembly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexrains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 12:29am
Thank you very much.
Will use flame retardant foam and try to build that that asap.
--------------------------
1971 Javelin AMX
1966 Olds 442
1964 Volvo P-1800S
53w View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 53w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 1:15am
There was a vendor making a poor man's cowl induction air cleaner base for scrambler type setup a few years ago. That's what I was going to use for mine. But can't remember who vendor was. Saw them at Rockford show..?

Edited by 53w - Jul/17/2018 at 1:20am
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 3:05am
The chev setup looks like it could be adapted, is available relatively cheap as a reproduction and might even look half like a factory one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-1971-1972-70-71-72-CHEVELLE-COWL-INDUCTION-AIR-CLEANER-CHROME-LID/292048716463?hash=item43ff75c2af&_sacat=0&_nkw=chevelle+air+cleaner&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR8.TRC1.A0.H0.Xchevelle+air+cleaner.TRS0.TSS0

You could even buy two and make yourself a dual snorkel.

You can also buy the rubber ring to seal it to the hood.

Edited by WesternRed - Jul/17/2018 at 3:08am
alexrains View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexrains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 8:38am
Could be a silly thought, but how much does a functional cowl hood contribute to cool off the engine bay?
Would a full, original factory OAI setup have had a different radiator on a Javelin or AMX?
Maybe I think too much about this build...
1971 Javelin AMX
1966 Olds 442
1964 Volvo P-1800S
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 9:27am
In my opinion, look at it like an investment (for your own personal prosperity... which could benefit your family?) -Hey; it's a vintage collectable 'muscle car'.

Basically every single part on the car is 'minted currency' & has a dollar value (or 'Franks' in Germany?)

& it all adds up.

Having the car is like having a bank account, for somewhere to store your money.

For the average American consumer, buying a house is their 1rst-most expensive investment and buying a new car is second.

The house is a very rational decision, typified by concern for going up in value.

But buying a new car, for most people, is the opposite; most people buy a new car based on impulse (they go by their feelings, not by logic) and the new car, as an investment, is a very poor/bad decision. It will drop $5000 in value as soon as they drive it off the dealership parking lot = 'poof', there goes the money (might as well flush it down a toilet)

Buying a classic/collector car though is more like a coin collection (minted currency)

-At least the value of the coins isn't going down & very likely, the value of the coins will gradually appreciate instead.

So, no; IMO, putting much thought into building a collector car is not silly, it's an opportunity to prosper... and most certainly you'll be able to enjoy the Javelin AMX when you get it into excellent running condition (then you probably won't want to sell it, which only adds to the 'intrinsic value', then your mental prosperity, for 'a job well done')

IMO, the price of a Jav-AMX cowl induction unit is not much compared to how much people might spend on a trendy/stylish set of wheels (for their new Jeep etc.) -but the air cleaner assembly will hold it's value better because it's considered to be a hard-to-find collectable object.
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 1:45pm
Something else I came across rooting through pc files
and pictures of that home made hood seal air cleaner...

A custom Air Cleaner Wing Nut Stud...
Disliked Lid Deflection from tightened wing nut.
Wanted a positive clamping face for Air Cleaner Lid
and low profile for hood scoop overhead clearance.
So changed it from male thread to female thread on top
of Air Cleaner Stud by using a 1/4-20 Coupling Nut, etc.
Then used a short Button Head 1/4- 20 Screw to attach Lid
rather than a tall wing nut on a male threaded rod.
Cleaner look, positive clamping, and zero lid deflection.

In the pic there's a 2nd coupling nut at the bottom.
It was only used because had only a short piece of 1/4-20 rod
and that ProForm Main Body with no Choke Horn was shorter.
Eventually went back to a Classic Holley Main Body anyway...
Or may have been an Adapter Coupling Nut, 5/16 to 1/4 thread...
Fail to remember if the ProForm was 5/16 tap like a Barry Grant carb... 

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Jul/17/2018 at 1:48pm
alexrains View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexrains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2018 at 2:54am
Pretty ingenious and kind of picky in a positive way..! Thanks again. 
1971 Javelin AMX
1966 Olds 442
1964 Volvo P-1800S
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2018 at 2:43pm
alexrains, thanks and you're welcome.
May I ask, was your AMC engine Re-Built in Michigan?
Anyways, your question about HEAT & Cowl Induction...
If the Cowl Induction Air Cleaner is sealed to the hood,
would say it does not reduce underhood engine heat or temperature, but
it does reduce Engine Intake Air Temperatures, and adds a little power.
Would say no, there is no differences in radiators or engine cooling.

And man they cost way too much money, especially to then modify,
but K&N now offers a # 66-0901 X-Stream Top Filter LID...
but it is 9 inches O.D. so could maybe be used as-is on that
Custom Home Made RamAir Air Cleaner with it's 8" O.D. Filter
or maybe that Filter Lid could be trimmed down to 8 inches O.D.
to fit the 8" O.D. Filter, but man $100 to $65+ for that Filter Lid !
And then to go after it with a razor blade or something to modify it...
Eh... it's only money right?  If I still had the car I'd probably be trying that...
alexrains View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexrains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 12:37am
Phat, I meant the question about heat the other way round.

Now, the hot air can leave through the opening in the hood.
After sealing with the new air-filter setup, hot air has to leave down to the floor... Ayway, not that important, just curious..

My car (not; its my wife´s car) was directly shipped to Vienna, Austria in 1971 and had only one single owner before us.

It has some strange things, like a '69 290, inside. Even the build sheet raised questions, as some markings are nowhere documented.

The dealer in Vienna stopped doing AMC also in 1971 and became the biggest Toyota dealer in my country afterwards, so also no records available.

I posted a couple of questions during the rebuilding period of the humpster and we did the car from scratch - except the engine, which we only technically checked and left its patina original. And we changed the color to period correct "raven green" (was mustard yellow).

Spares and knowledge are a nightmare around my area, so I found literally all help in this forum.

The humpster is now the only model in the country, drives like a modern car (I mean that, compared to my Olds and Volvo), has an interesting amount of power for such a small engine and is used as a driver for my wife and me during warm, dry seasons.

And as it is that good and reliable, myself gets bored and starts to look for luxury enhancements to apply on weekends.. :-)
1971 Javelin AMX
1966 Olds 442
1964 Volvo P-1800S
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 11:13am
Ok, very interesting.  The custom thing I made is for a Holley Dual Line Carb.
Think it is important for me to point out I am unaware if it will work with any other carburetors.
Where the base plate is just a flat piece it clears everything on a Holley Dual Line Carb
except the 2 Bowl Needle Adjustments, which the (2) 7/8" holes take care of.
But I do NOT know if a totally flat base plate will work with other carbs
like Carter, Edelbrock, Barry Grant, or even a Single Inlet Side Hung Float Holley...
Larger image of a 3D Cad Model I made, sadly no longer have working 3D software.
Model shows a more complex Turned Aluminum Lid with a Tapered Center Piece.
Tapered piece did not get made, but did eventually get a billet Alum Lid with a recess turned.
The first Lid was just flat .05" Aluminum Sheet.

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Jul/19/2018 at 11:32am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic