TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

trans help needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djm2018 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trans help needed
    Posted: Jun/16/2019 at 2:04pm
For the last few years I have been going to local drag strip on friday nights for a little racing and fun.73 Javelin,401 stock compression, holley 600, torker intake, headers, small cam, Chrysler TF 998(904) trans., 9 1/2" converter, 8.8 ford 3.55 gear.
Problem I've been having is I want to shift at 5000 rpm. I leave the starting line and when tack hits 5000rpm I bump shifter into second gear and nothing happens. Rpm goes to app. 5600 and trans shifts into second gear. Tack goes up again and at 5000rpm I bump shifter into third gear and again nothing happens. Tack continues to rise to 5600rpm and then shifts into third gear.
 I cannot understand why this happens. The only way I can get it to shift is if I leave off of the gas pedal slightly when I manually shift it and it changes gear. If I keep my foot to the floor it won't shift till it hits 5600rpm. What's even more perplexing is I just installed a Transgo TF2 reprogramming kit in trans. This is suppose to let me upshift or downshift at any rpm or speed.
  Any ideas or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2019 at 2:43pm
Sounds like your governor is set to shift at 5600.  To get it to shift early, that is earlier than the normal WOT automatic shift point, you need a full manual valve body that only shifts when you do.  But then you lose all the advantages of automatic shifts.  A&A sells governor kits to adjust the shift point.  The Trans-Go kit that can be used for full manual is the TF-3.  The TF2 instructions used to have a section that talked about modifications to the valve body to make the shift point adjustable, so its possible you could call them or read the instructions.  That said, I am a drag racer, I have raced a lot of cars and I would love to have one that shifted at 5600 consistently, reliably, and without me thinking about it so I don't fully understand why you want to shift at 5000.  It seems like your car should be strong to at least 5600 rpm.  If there is another problem and you are trying to drive around it, maybe.  What are you trying to accomplish by shifting early?

Phitown Hustler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phitown Hustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2019 at 3:23pm
Ditch the Transgo and get a real valve body. If you dont want full manual Turbo Action sells a pro-street unit that alot of racers like. It has LBA, engine braking. You can shift manually when racing or leave it in D3 for fully automatic use
djm2018 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djm2018 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2019 at 4:27pm
Last year I got a 5000rpm weight kit from A&A and installed. Leaving it in drive 1-2 shift at 5000, 2-3 shift back to 5600 and that's the way it stayed rest of season. 5000rpm weight still in now. That's why I got the TF2 kit. Thought it would give me the ability to up or downshift when I wanted to and also leaving in drive automatic shifts. Don't really want full manual. I would be content with it if it was consistent. 55-56-5700 I can't tell.No digital tach or play back, but my split times  and ET tell me no. Also would feel more comfortable at lower rpm since it is stock bottom end. Only matter of opinion as to who has better valve body kits.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic