TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

232 lifter noise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electrictech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 232 lifter noise
    Posted: Jun/02/2019 at 9:50pm
So I have what I think is a lifter noise coming from the back of the inline 6. I took the valve cover off and cranked the motor noticed no oil seems to be coming up and the second pushrod from the back cylinder was not turning. Do I need new lifters?
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2019 at 10:03pm
It depends on what year 232 you have.
On the shaft rocker early heads,  the oil isn't supplied to the top end through the push rods,  but through a oil passage in the block, then to the head, and to the rocker shaft etc.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
electrictech View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electrictech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2019 at 7:54am
Its a 68 javelin

tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2019 at 8:06pm
The 68 Javelin,  if it has the original type engine,  doesn't oil the head part of the valve train through hollow push rods.

It takes oil off the #3 camshaft bearing,  up through a drilled passage in the block,  then through a drilled passage in the head,  to the 2nd from back rocker stand, thru the rocker shaft to the rocker arms, then dribbles back down the push rods, and holes in the head to the tappet area.

That hole in the block can easily stop up,  if the oil wasn't changed regularly,  or has been sitting a long time.

There's several threads on working around this problem, on this forum.
Do a search.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2019 at 9:08pm
http://www.mattsoldcars.com/RestoreAmerican/boltmod.shtml

You'd better get oil to it right away if there is any hope of saving your rocker shaft assembly.

There is also the overhead oiler option.
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2019 at 2:54am
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

http://www.mattsoldcars.com/RestoreAmerican/boltmod.shtml

You'd better get oil to it right away if there is any hope of saving your rocker shaft assembly.

There is also the overhead oiler option.

I have done the aforementioned bolt modification. At the time, I had access to a lathe but any machine shop should be able to do it.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2019 at 10:48pm
i've done the bolt mod by chucking the bolt in a drill press and using a rattail file then smoother ones to make it nice. just take your time, you only need to do it once.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic