TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 AMX Engine Compartment Extra Holes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 AMX Engine Compartment Extra Holes?
    Posted: May/24/2019 at 6:22am
My car was partially disassembled, and had an engine swap in the past. There seems to be extra holes in the inner fenders, and I'm hoping that someone can tell me which ones should be filled in.
The picture on the left is the left side. There was a clip in the hole with the orange circle, I believe that is where the washer bag goes. The other numbered holes were open.
The picture on the right has some holes that were used (starter solenoid, for example). I didn't number those. This car had the battery in the trunk, so are the 5 holes on the horizontal surface for mounting the battery tray? I don't know if hole #14, or the holes in the blue circle are used or not.
Thanks for any help. I'm almost to the point that I can get things blasted and primed. Now is the time to weld holes.
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
ADAM12MATADOR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2019 at 1:50pm
All the holes on the left side appear correct. There should be 8 holes on the right side not including the battery tray holes. There should be only 3 holes for the tray. The 2 larger ones that the studs go thru and then the one for the bracket.  The 4 small  holes where the tray goes are wrong. I think there is one extra hole in the group that is circled. When AMC punched out the panels, they were made for both 6 cylinder and V8 cars. On 6 cyl cars, the lower battery tray bracket hole was covered with a cloth tape that was painted over. 
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2019 at 3:22pm
Adam12 is correct, the battery area has too many holes. I am not sure what hole #14 is for, but I am not able to get to my car at this moment. The holes circled in blue might be for a rally pack junction block. The holes above that are for the voltage regulator, horn relay and then the solenoid.

If the car had a rally pack, there should be a 1" diameter hole just to the right of center on the firewall and a 1/4" hole above that. Those are for the harness and vacuum gauge hoses, respectively.

I hope that helps!

Chris
ADAM12MATADOR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2019 at 7:00pm
My 70 AMX has #14
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic