TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

FI fuel return line

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2019 at 7:21am
I am not at the point of installing the fuel system yet for my project although I have bought the fuel lines and parts for port EFI. I have pre-bent 3/8" and 5/16" stainless steel fuel lines from SS Tubes/Fine Lines they will custom make a 3/8" line if you call them, also bought a new stainless steel 3/8" line fuel sending unit from ebay see the link below, (I checked the ohms reading on the new sender it's very to the TSM specs). The 3/8" line will be feed and 5/16" line return, inline external fuel pump and mounting bracket is from Quantum it's high output and supposed to be quiet. The return 5/16" line will be TIG welded into the sending unit and routed so the return fuel flows away from the sender, with the parts I also bought some Earl's Vapor Guard flex hose in 5/16" and 3/8" for the flexible lines.

RumblinFx4 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RumblinFx4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2019 at 5:47am
This is what i used with my FiTech system Moroso 65385 EFI Fuel Return Line Kit
rebelxxxxxx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelxxxxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2019 at 7:22am
I just installed a Fitech system in my Rebel, and I also used the Moroso kit. I modified the fuel command center so it constantly circulates fuel, and have not had any issues. 
1970 Rebel SST 360, 5-speed
1970 Ambassador SST 2-Dr, 360,
1972 Ambassador Station Wagon, 401
1972 Javelin 360
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2019 at 7:45am
My poor experience with external pumps led me to use an internal. Had to replace the gas tank anyway, and built my own tank, so internal was easy at that time.

My car was built to be a daily driver. It was driven back and forth to work and on 2-3 day long (6-8 hours on road) trips a year for around 5-6K miles a year. 4.6L stroker with RENIX EFI at the time. I used the factory Jeep wiring for the fuel pump, which included a ballast resistor to reduce voltage to the pump during low demand. I still use that system with the internal pump. It's a return line system with vacuum referenced regulator on the fuel rail.

I used a Carter external pump at first. It lasted about a year. Then I used some aftermarket Mercedes pumps. The first only lasted about six months, the second about 18 months. I purchased three on a close-out deal, may have been closed out due to quality issues since they were made in a former communist block country (I forget which... Czechoslovakia or East Germany?). About this time I had tired of fixing leaks in my old original gas tank and made a new one, switching to the early Jeep internal pump. I have only replaced it once since first installing the new tank and pump around 2005. Stopped using the car as a daily driver around 2009, just occasionally driven since. But the internal pumps last! I always carried a spare external... at least they were quick and easy to change out. I gave away that last ex-commie pump I had.
Frank Swygert
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2019 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by 6768rogues 6768rogues wrote:

If using an unmodified tank, you can drill a hole in the sender base and put the return through it. That way you can work on it and get it fuel tight on a bench, then install it. If a decision is made in the future to return it to stock, you did not drill the original tank.

I did kind of the same thing on my 70 AMX. I have the Pro-Flo EFI, and used the OE 5/16" pickup line in the sending unit as my return line and added a 3/8" line to the sender for a fuel pickup which leads to the external "Walbro" pump (mounted just in front of the tank) which has been in the car for about 4 years now. If you do this be sure you put the return line away from the fuel pickup or the returning fuel will aerate the fuel being picked up. I routed my return line to the left rear corner of the fuel tank.      

Edited by THE MENACE - Jun/05/2019 at 2:36pm
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
cruxop View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruxop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2022 at 8:30pm
Were you able to fit both the fuel lines in the stock location? Looking to do the same with 2x 3/8 lines on my 68 AMX efi build
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic