TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

The best lube for a T10??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2019 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

Both my 1965 and 1966 manuals say motor oil is allowable in the 3 speed, 4 speed, and overdrive transmissions. Argue for or against it all you want, the point is AMC allowed it regardless of what we think and I relayed that information as it was written by the writers at American Motors.

Some people have to live with transmissions that leak. For those people, a thicker (but still approved!) fluid that doesn't piss out the ancient dried up seals is a big plus.

I use Sta-Lube GL-4. It shifts better with it than on synchromesh fluid, it runs quieter than on synchromesh fluid, and it doesn't piss out the seals faster than I can refill it.

Allowable - but did you look at the TSBs or TSMs or TSM supplements later?
You'll find AMC changed their mind more than once. Owners manual is a guide - but as I can prove, a guide only, as in at least two cases AMC said NO NO NO - don't do that. In fact I have two TSBs issued the same year that changed transmission lube. It started with one lube in the owner manual, then it changed, then a TSB changed it and then about a month later another TSB changed it. 
The owner manual is a starting point - sometimes it sticks and isn't changed, sometimes it DOES change. I guess I could spend time going through all of my 1960s and 1970s TSBs to see....

By the way - I ripped up three 3 speed transmissions in my first car inside of two years.
I kept ripping up the synchronizers.
We also changed synchronizers in a lot of AMC transmissions from 1960s cars - and we stopped using "motor oil" because as the boss said "that's for motors". (he ran the shop for Charter AMC dealership in the 50s and 60s and in the 70s I started working there.)

I guess that's why I have some of the Kent Moore transmission tools from that era - we worked on a lot of manual transmissions. I guess that says something, eh? Real life experience in a shop back then - dozens of transmissions. We never put engine oil back in once we worked on them. 

Yep. Ive seen some of those TSBs. And you pretty much said what I would have said too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic