TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gen II with a 4 sp auto?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budryzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gen II with a 4 sp auto?
    Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 4:46am
Greetings all,
Just a quick question,,,,,
Anyone running a four speed auto or an overdrive with a GenII v8?
46re A518 etc etc Non lockup???

Thanks
Happy Summer
1968AMX Stroked 369
"UNCLE SAM" tribute
04 H2
04 BMW 325
A/W 95 Ultralight Hobbycopter
85 CR500 x 2 and 13 other open Class Bikes
77 Hercules
Chinook Flt Lead
Prev
1970AMX390/4spSonicw/mask&3Gremm's
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 6:28am
A500 style (42RH) and AW4 both have been done; both can bolt directly to the engine.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 6:29am
I seem to recall that someone on the forum put a 700R4 on an AMC 390 but I can't remember who it was. Anyone??
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 6:45am
Look at the Stickey's in this section.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 8:15am
I would think once you use the crank adapter you could use just about any trany all be it may need an adapter for it too.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 8:25am
Using Google to search for appropriate data to run a 700R4 which if installed can be controlled by a few simple devices for the Lock Up torque converter. 
The most sophisticated use a pressure switch installed in the 3/4 servo, a ported vacuum switch in the carburetor and an added switch for the brake.
The concept is to insure that the torque converter un-locks when the engine is under load such as acceleration or hill climbing or coming to a stop.
This can be done by  simple hand controlled switch or a device plugged into the transmission that senses speed only.
The other problem is speedometer drive which can be solved by purchasing and installing adapters to replace the electronic sending uint or a speedometer installed that uses the sending unit or purchasing a GPS system. My preference is a GPS unit.
Advance adapters has an adapter I believe or something like this:

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/adapters/engine_to_transmission/kit_437amc.htm

Works too.
The transmission mount is not a problem nor is the drive shaft, as it happened due to installation preferences, the drive shaft for my Hornet was exactly the right length requiring only a change in universal and slip joint.  A simple job for a drive shaft shop.
The transmission is big so I widened the drive shaft tunnel by4 inches on the passenger side to give room for adding the pressure switch and routing cooling lines.  I also used that space to help in the mounting of the transmission cooler.  Widening things was not a problem as new rugs were being installed and fit right in with out drastically changing the appearance.
As the installation was in a hornet and the objective was to install a modern 4 speed transmission with a lock up torque converter that objective was met. 
The torque converter was modified to be a 2200 rpm stall converter again a personal preference as I like them with a slightly modified street engine. '
I have one in my Spirit with a modified 904 and it is sweet.
The shift linkage was taken care of using a Lokar linkage adapter and carefully installing it to work with the column shift, also a lokar 700r4 remote firewall mount dip stick was purchases for that application.
A dust shield for the torque converter will be a problem.  Apparently there are two versions (maybe more but for the sake of discussion) an automotive and a truck version. The after market carries a chrome one that fits a truck version.  The car version is not covered by aftermarket, no longer stocked by dealers and is plastic. My 700r4 came from a caprice and I have not found a dust shield yet.

Edited by uncljohn - Jun/21/2014 at 8:30am
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
budryzer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budryzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 11:56am
Great:)
Thanks for all the responses.

That gives me a lot to think about. I didn't consider the novak adapter route. It opens up a lot more possibilities I need to consider. I have a 727 with the amc bell, so I initially thought 518. But I'll have to look into the GM products.

Edited by budryzer - Jun/21/2014 at 12:03pm
1968AMX Stroked 369
"UNCLE SAM" tribute
04 H2
04 BMW 325
A/W 95 Ultralight Hobbycopter
85 CR500 x 2 and 13 other open Class Bikes
77 Hercules
Chinook Flt Lead
Prev
1970AMX390/4spSonicw/mask&3Gremm's
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 8:11pm
I have a 1973 Jeep 360/TH400 that a Gear Vendors overdrive can be bolted to. Got it has a back up plan for my '68 AMX 390. Plans changed. I'm now assembling a fresh '68 390 with M12.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
ARIZONAAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARIZONAAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 9:20pm
Gear Vendors work great behind a short tailshaft tranny like a TH400.Dont even bother with a long 18 "
tailshaft 727 in a 68 -70 AMX. Been there-done that.The vibration is horrible. You wind up with a 21" driveshaft.I tried several pinion angles ¬hing worked.I gave up after several months of heck. cut the tunnel for nothing!
68 AMX 401,727.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 10:03pm
Gear vendors are nice.  Always wanted one.  But then again that was before multi-speed manual and automatic transmissions were commonly available that offered an overdrive as part of the gear ratio.  The catch is that you have to pay attention to the gear ratio spread on the transmission you are contemplating. 
If you don't you can take a really nicely balanced 4 speed application and replace it with say a 5 speed while looking only at the transmission gear ratio of the top gear.   And dumping it in thinking that the final transmission gearing will adjust a 4.11:1 rear axle into something the plays nice with cruising.
Only to discover the the ratio you ignored, that of the 1st Gear now gives you all of the benefits of a wide ratio 3 speed with a granny low and an overdrive.
Something that worked nice in a 100HP farm truck of the late 1940's

A 700 R4 and a 2200 rpm stall converter, a transmission that if set up with the proper final drive acts as if it is a 5 speed automatic.  Can be built to handle and reasonable street HP and has been and converts the pure edge of a 70's brute force muscle car into a svelte performance car of the next century.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic