TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gasket adhesive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2018 at 9:00pm
I  use cork gaskets. Put them on with "nuttin". Never had a sealing problem. Street cars and race cars.
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2018 at 12:03am
Originally posted by gremlin1945 gremlin1945 wrote:

I  use cork gaskets. Put them on with "nuttin". Never had a sealing problem. Street cars and race cars.
I agree 100% Nothing...but i use rubber...after the engine is run they conform to the half round shape of the top rail of the flange and they stay put...
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2018 at 3:45am
I use the rubber gaskets and just put them on dry, I usually reuse them a few times without any issues.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2018 at 1:39pm
Yesterday installed the oil pan on a 390 engine. Glad I used Gasgacinch for this particular step of complete engine assembly. First painted the block with a thin layer of Gasgacinch where the oil pan gasket is positioned, waited a couple minutes (55 degrees in garage), placed cork gaskets on block and pressed down on them while lining up the bolt holes (cork gasket stuck really well) , positioned front and rear oil pan rubber seals, dabbed a small amout of RTV at corners of rubber seals, then coated other surface of cork gasket with RTV, placed oil pan on RTV cork gasket surface, finger tightened oil pan bolts. Next day, torqued oil pan bolts to spec. Worked like clock work.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 8:13pm
Today used clothes pins, clamps and Gasgacinch to adhere the cork gaskets to the valve cover. May be a bit over kill. LOL
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by AMXFSTBK390 AMXFSTBK390 wrote:

Today used clothes pins, clamps and Gasgacinch to adhere the cork gaskets to the valve cover. May be a bit over kill. LOL

That's the way! Last time I corked it up, I used those little black paperwork binder thingies and pinched them on like the clothes pins. Who says you can't have fun with cork
AZ_chip View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ_chip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2018 at 6:33pm
Hylomar.
1981 Jeep Cherokee
AMC 360 Holley Sniper
motorhead_1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorhead_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 2:02am
yamabond
69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 11:25am
Originally posted by AZ_chip AZ_chip wrote:

Hylomar.

Yeah, Hylomar is a great product too ! Developed originally by Rolls Royce for aircraft use.

I used to use Hylomar for a lot of gasket jobs and even case to case parts with no gasket, like the Hewland Transaxle on a Formula Ford.

Comes in aerosol can and tubes. Stays pliable forever, doesn't set up ugly like a lot of sealers do. It was easier to disassemble things when they were put together using Hylomar too.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
gremlin1945 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 9:52pm
Hows about Poligrip or Fixodent, works for me. Haven't tried them on v/c gaskets yet though.
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic