TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Restoration facts, question and answer. > Part Numbers, AMC Parts ID and cross-references
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

gas tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAV1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gas tank
    Posted: Dec/18/2016 at 2:12pm
I am starting the work to restore my grandpa's 1974 AMC Javelin though not all that much experience going for me I have friends and family that can help if i think i need it. thought i would try to make a list and see how much it will be to get all the parts and other things that i will need to fix it, but i cannot find the price of a gas tank for this vehicle online. If anyone has this information i would appreciate it if you shared it with me. 
Thank you.

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2016 at 3:16pm
If the gas tank is a mess,  some radiator shops can clean it and put sealer in it, but, Im not sure if I would do that.    Renu  restores tanks,  and its NOT cheap.   I have 2 tanks myself that needs to be redone as well..........................
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2016 at 3:47pm
There are several AMC vendors, including Galvins, american parts depot and kennedy american you can look at there web sites. You can post a wanted ad in the wanted section. And as has been stated already yours might be fixable.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2016 at 4:12pm
I thought I remembered seeing a thread where a Concord/Hornet tank was used in Javelins,
seems like those tanks were available at some point, and adaptable (if my memory is working today).
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2016 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by JAV1776 JAV1776 wrote:

I am starting the work to restore my grandpa's 1974 AMC Javelin though not all that much experience going for me I have friends and family that can help if i think i need it. thought i would try to make a list and see how much it will be to get all the parts and other things that i will need to fix it, but i cannot find the price of a gas tank for this vehicle online. If anyone has this information i would appreciate it if you shared it with me. 
Thank you.

Since you may be looking for parts for restoration... please check the door sticker for build date so you know and are clear on what you need. If after April the car will be a late production, and have some differences than earlier 74 and late 73 Javelins. Some parts are hard to come by. So be patient when searching. One thing that is the same on all Javelins is stainless trim, though vinyl tops are 71 to 72, and 73 to 74 in being able to share trim parts.

HVAC is unique for 74, but a few things are shared between other years. Wheels are also different in late 74 Javelins. Front seats are different, along with seat belts.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2016 at 12:05am
Renu can do wonders. The best one in the U.S. in my estimation is Moyers in Pennsylvania. Worth a phone call for information.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
jav343 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jav343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2016 at 12:46am
X2 on Moyers. They've repaired 2 tanks for me over the years.
2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L, 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L, 1968 AMC Javelin 5.6L 
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2016 at 3:39pm
I think was used to be Moyers Tank Renu now has licensed vendors across the U.S.  Some of the AMC vendors like Galvin's sometimes will exchange tanks with you if they have a reconditioned tank in stock.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2016 at 5:17pm
I have sealed two tanks with Eastwood kits. One of them had pin holes and has not leaked a drop in 14 years. It is time consuming to follow the directions to the letter, but not costly and works well.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
AMoCoLite View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2016 at 7:09pm
X3 on Moyers. ('68 AMX fuel tank)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic