TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gas Tank ReNu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Tank ReNu
    Posted: Nov/04/2017 at 8:33am
Just pulled a gas tank out of my 69 Rambler parts car. Since these tanks are so darn hard to find I want to have the tank restored using the ReNu process. Had one done last year by a ReNu dealer here in California. Their work was just okay. Anyone have good results from a ReNu dealer in other States? Thanks.

Matt
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2017 at 4:18pm
I have done two myself using kits from Eastwood. It takes some time as there are several steps, but the results are great. One tank had pinholes and rust all over the bottom and it has not leaked a drop since I sealed it in 2002. It still has the same fuel filter I installed in 2002. As I recall, the kit and all the extra stuff needed did not add up to $75.
My most recent project car has fuel injection, so I bought a 65 Mustang replacement tank made for FI and modified the car to make it fit. It was close, but not exactly the same as the Rambler tank. It fit in the original location and the fill is hooked up to the original gas neck. I like the idea of all brand new.
How much did Renu cost?

Edited by 6768rogues - Nov/04/2017 at 4:23pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2017 at 6:33pm
Thanks. As I recall it was around $395 including shipping. The tank was not horrible but it had a few small dings that they advertise they are supposed to fix as part of the ReNu process. They did not. But the inside is great. I ended up painting the exterior with several layers of POR and it does look good.

How did you coat the inside of your tank?
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
amxess View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2017 at 10:07pm
Sent mine to New Jersey Renu almost 20 years ago and still looks great. Fixed a hole and has a lifetime warranty (tag affixed onto tank).
g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2017 at 12:43am
Matt,

If you don't mind a short drive up the coast, I've got an old school radiator guy here in Santa Maria that coats tanks. He coated one of mine before, and it came out nice.
He is very good...in fact I call him part of the dying breed.
He is not even very expensive.
I can ring him Monday if you like, to see if he is in fact, still doing this (I am pretty sure he is).

g-man
AMC only daily driver
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2017 at 12:48am
Thanks g-man.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2017 at 8:30am
Originally posted by 6768rogues 6768rogues wrote:

...My most recent project car has fuel injection, so I bought a 65 Mustang replacement tank made for FI and modified the car to make it fit. It was close, but not exactly the same as the Rambler tank. It fit in the original location and the fill is hooked up to the original gas neck. I like the idea of all brand new....

Any pictures of the modifications necessary to the car?  Did you cut off the stock flange on the Mustang tank?
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2017 at 12:25pm
6 PakBee
I used 1x1 square tubing and 1 1/2 flat stock to make a frame for the tank so it would sit below the trunk floor. The tubing spaced it down enough to use the flange resting on the flat stock. I also cut a hole in the trunk floor and made a cover, allowing access to the pump and gauge sender without dropping the tank. I got a few fuel fill hoses with bends and spliced them together to get the filler neck to the original cap. It is a little lower than a stock tank, but has a taper on the back and it is considerably above the differential and tranny crossmember. No pics as they were in the dreaded photobucket.
Lakeside
The Eastwood kit has a creamy stuff that coats the tank. There are several washing steps, using soap and water, acetone, muriatic acid, etc. It is spelled out in the kit. After all that, the thick creamy stuff is dumped in the tank and the tank is rotated so all surfaces are coated. I did it while I was doing other stuff, so every once in a while I turned the tank to a new side. After it was all well coated, I dumped out the excess. With the first one I did not do the following step, but I thought of it to speed up drying on the second one.  Then I made a plastic plug that fit the gauge sender hole and installed an air fitting in it. I regulated the air supply down to 5 psi and let that air slowly go through the tank. It took a number of hours, but after the washing process most of the time was spent doing other stuff while I waited and rotated the tank. I would do it again to save hundreds of dollars and have it done in a day.

Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2017 at 12:27pm
Thanks.  Thumbs Up
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2017 at 10:39am
Originally posted by LakesideRamblin LakesideRamblin wrote:

Just pulled a gas tank out of my 69 Rambler parts car. Since these tanks are so darn hard to find I want to have the tank restored using the ReNu process. Had one done last year by a ReNu dealer here in California. Their work was just okay. Anyone have good results from a ReNu dealer in other States? Thanks.
Matt

Matt,

I spoke with my guy this morning.
He coats tanks, but it is not the ReNu process.
Apparently there are only 2 ReNu dealers in California, 1 in Bellflower, and 1 in Stockton.
He told me he uses what he calles "A Kung-Fu epoxy".
He does an elaborate rinsing & acid cleaning & etching of the tank first, then he physically repairs the tank.
That means his system will only work on a tank that is repairable, in other words, no screen door tanks.
He said typical cost is about $300.
Also, he needs the tank for about a week.
But the guy's work is good, and he is reasonable.
The tank that I had done 21 years ago, is still holding just fine according to the guy that bought the car from me.
Let me know if you're interested in his contact info.

g-man
AMC only daily driver
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic