TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gas in trunk!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

If it was mine I would siphon the tank and fix it prior to driving period. Don't mess around when there is a fuel issue Cam.

Thanks, Tony. Spoken like a true firefighter. Wink

'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 8:46pm
Something just occurred to me.  Before I hooked the vapor recovery hoses back up correctly the tank would build pressure because the P.O. had plugged the vent hose with a bolt.  The tank wouldn't be building pressure if it has a leak.

This is going to take some detective work.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 7:52am

If it was mine I would siphon the tank and fix it prior to driving period. Don't mess around when there is a fuel issue Cam.

I agree 100% with Tony. It's nothing to mess with. Even though there's a leak there shouldn't be fumes in the trunk. I had the same issue if I had overfilled the tank and some spilled out. I found that the seam sealer was hard and had sections missing. After digging out all the old seam sealer and putting new in, no more fumes in the trunk if fuel spills out during fueling.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 8:00am

The Machine that started my love for Machines met this fate in 1970.  The owners had taken the car to the local dealership a number of times with a fuel odor complaint.  After the last time at the dealership on the way home, the rear of the car burst into flames.  The occupants barely made it out without injury and the car completely burned on the shoulder of the interstate.  I can remember going to the wrecking yard and seeing the charred hulk.  Makes a real impression on you when you are 18.

Just a comment on siphoning.  With all the baffling and twists and turns that some tanks have I've gotten myself in trouble trying to siphon through the filler neck.  I try to disconnect the fuel line at the tank and empty the tank through the fuel line. 

Edited by 6PakBee - Jul/21/2018 at 8:03am
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 10:25am
Cam, I just removed the tank from my 71'. If the filler neck had a leak, then there would have to a hole somewhere on the inside of the trunk, for the gas to get in.
Here are some pictures that might help you figure this thing out.

Here's the top of the tank with the vent tube.

And the filler neck

And inside the the place where the filler neck is located, viewed from underneath.

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 3:10pm
Way back last century, I had to stop using one gas station for two reasons: they were constantly breaking my license pate light and I always had the smell of gas in the car after a fill up. Fortunately for me, the car, a 1970 Mark Donahue Javelin, was only a few years old and the lights were readily available from Haslett Rambler, the dealer I bought the car from. As far as the gas smell went, I found that if they stopped filling after the first time the nozzle clicked off, I didn't get the smell in the trunk. Never bothered to look any farther since the cause was eliminated.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 3:27pm

Did some runs today and no gas leaks even though the tank is full, so it must only be leaking when I fill (or overfill) it.

I even tried some steep uphill and drag racing starts (love my 1/4 mile phone app!) to make the gas slosh to the back but no gas smell or any signs of leaks.

I did fill it to the second click and them some last time I filled it, so maybe that's what causes it.  Still a mystery how it got into the trunk, but from Tom's photos it looks like there is a slight lip at the bottom of the fuel filler cover, so if gas runs down the filler tube when filling maybe it pools there and gets past the seam sealer. Will keep and eye on it to see if I can figure it out.

Edited by CamJam - Jul/21/2018 at 3:35pm

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 9:12pm
Cam,

It could always be worse. Back in the early 70's while I was living in Phoenix there was no such thing as "self serve". A buddy of mine who had a fastback Mustang went to get gas. He told the pump jocky to fill it up. After a while the kid running the pump came back to the drivers window and asked my buddy how big the gas tank was. My buddy was taken by surprised and asked the kid why he wanted to know. The kid replied that he had already pumped 30 gallons and it was still going.

Long story short, the Mustang filler neck went in the taillight panel then through the fastback area with a rubber grommet in the floor to the tank. The rubber had rotted out and the back of the car was filled with gas. The fire department had to come and clean it out and to top it off he got a bill from the city for it. He never could get rid of the gas smell and sold the car shortly after that as he could not keep the windows rolled up for very long.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2020 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

If you fill the tank completely full, it may slosh into the trunk by the filler neck grommet being cracked around the seal, and the curved trunk plate over the neck, that may not be completely sealed. Though most of the leaking gas will end up on the road as well.

Bringing this old thread back to life as I think this might be my problem.  It only leaks if I overfill the tank, though lately also if I'm going up a steep hill when the tank is near full.  Since I live on a steep hill, this is something I'm going to have to deal with, so dropping the tank is now on the agenda,

Does this rubber grommet go between the filler neck and the body of the car?  The '72 assembly diagram almost makes it look like it goes between the filler neck and the tank.  In other words more of a flexible joint between the filler neck and the tank instead of soldering the neck to the tank like in the earlier models.  I've tried to have a look up in there but can't tell with the tank in.  I have no rubber grommet between the filler neck and the body of the car, not that I can see from behind the license plate anyway.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2020 at 5:10pm
Can't remember if yours is a late 72? If late it has a grommet that fits in the filler hole, and the neck pushes through it.

If you have the early 72 tank, it's like the 71... it my need re braized.

You have to drop the tank and verify the leak...

Once you have done so, it will become clear.

When dropping the tank. Spray the j hook threads and nuts well with penetrating oil. Crack the nuts loose and tighten slightly. The extra fine threads can be trouble... I always treat them as if I am tapping threads. Back off every few turns.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic