TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My 1967 AMC Marlin Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 17>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2018 at 11:34pm
And found a passenger-side quarter panel extension! This one's not NOS like the driver-side one but to me it may as well be. Side by side, the difference in condition is obvious. The old one has a nasty ding but the lower part of the molding is nearly flattened. I'll keep the old one when the good one replaces it; hopefully this and the driver-side one can be restored by somebody with more skill than me for a Marlin owner down the road who needs it.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Jul/31/2021 at 5:41pm
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 6:46pm
The Delco distributor has been rebuilt and looks like 1967 again, except for the PerTronix Ignitor the previous owner installed. Stock mechanical advance was 28 degrees concluding at 4400 RPM; there was zero initial advance. Not very sporty. The stock vacuum advance can added 24 degrees of advance, so there could be up to 52 degrees of total timing when cruising with high manifold vacuum.

The new mechanical advance curve is a little sportier; it concludes by 3600 and I knocked it down to 26 degrees. I'll replace the 24-degree vacuum advance can with a B26 can I ordered that adds in only 16 degrees. By reducing both the mechanical advance and vacuum advance, I can safely use more initial advance and not over-advance while cruising. I won't push it past 10 degrees of initial timing.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Dec/30/2023 at 9:25pm
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2018 at 10:10pm

Edited by 67 Marlin - Jul/31/2021 at 6:02pm
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2018 at 12:44am
Not sure what year AMC went to a nylon Cam gear but best to change it if it is. Mine went at 80k, bent my valves in the process. it was at highway speeds and since it was a 72 AMX with coil induction the flames coming out of the coil and over the windshield was a shocking surprise.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2018 at 2:22pm
Blasted and powder coated the 14x5.5 factory steel wheels (and a spare 14x6 Rally wheel); I can swap them on if I must be Captain Original at a car show some day. These wheels won't support a wide tire, so smoking them into rubber fume should be straightforward, assuming I would ever do such a thing, which of course would be utter nonsense. LOL

Edited by 67 Marlin - Jul/31/2021 at 6:07pm
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2018 at 6:02pm
The Marlin has been enhanced with headers and bigger exhaust tubing. The motor will be rebuilt this winter, so this is some initial groundwork. The Hooker Competition long tube headers fit well; ground clearance is not a problem and spark plug access is easy. The transmission fill tube was modified, and the RobbMc mini-starter was essential. The exhaust is aluminized mandrel-bent 2.5-inch tubing back to the Walker Super Turbo mufflers and 2.25-inch out the rear. The 343 now sounds like a proper muscle car should; powerful but quieter than it was with the awful Magnaflows that were on the car.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Dec/30/2023 at 9:29pm
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2018 at 10:37pm
The motor will have more power next summer, and the exhaust wasn't the only thing to upgrade in preparation for that. The Borg-Warner's torque converter was uprated for street performance duty; it'll behave like about a 2K stall but with great driveability and no overheating even at lower cruising speeds. The front and rear bands were adjusted so that shifting is very affirmative; the OE setting permitted lots of slipping, and that's no good for performance or the transmission's lifespan. The transmission was rebuilt the summer before I bought the car (I've put nearly all of its 1,300 miles on it), so the situation is pretty good in this department.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Jul/31/2021 at 6:25pm
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2018 at 12:33am
Installed the NOS power brake pedal pad that was in one of the previous owner's parts boxes. Polished up the insert and all is looking good. I'll need this sweet piece of braking rubber after the motor is souped up!

Edited by 67 Marlin - Dec/30/2023 at 10:35pm
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2018 at 3:15pm
I all ways said the main oil journals were never drilled all the way through. Also the cam journal hole is not what needs to be chamfered it's the cam bearing feed hole in the cam bearing itself on the side facing the block, inline with the oil gallery going to the mains. if it's not chamfered then it restricts oil to the mains. cool build 
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
Ruby loye View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby loye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2018 at 3:54pm
Those skinny Costco bias ply do smoke a bit, especially with a 327 and positive rear!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 17>
  Share Topic