TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fuel Shooting out of Carb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2017 at 6:29pm
Skip a tooth or two and it will hiss and piss.
My 307 did that, it ran badly and sent a lovely
mist into the air above the carb at start up.

Saw the same on a Dodge 360.

I agree, do the easy and cheap stuff first.
Gremlin Dreams
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2017 at 4:13am
How annoying when you've made such a nice job of the engine bay.

My 327 spat back through the carb, even set it on fire. The ignition timing was ten degrees late.
Make sure your timing mark on the front cover (or wherever, says he vaguely) is correct. Mine was broken off and a PO had guessed badly at where the mark should be.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2017 at 11:33am
A failed or bad condenser will do the same.
But it will start most times.
Gremlin Dreams
sweetevil28 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetevil28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 8:02am
Alright! It's running. I rebuilt the carb and adjusted the throttle and that was it... Oh and I had 2 wires crossed for a minute but i fixed that quick enough. It was the carb. Thanks everyone for the feedback and thank goodness it wasn't a jumped tooth! 
rondo View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 9:41am
Now wait a minuet.......You might consider this: the improper firing order (wires were going to the wrong plugs-firing the wrong cylinder) caused the problem. so when you were cranking it over, the plug was firing when the intake valve was still open because the wrong plug fired. THATS why the mist was shooting out the carb-that is the fuel/air mix that was supposed to be headed into the engine, but was blown back out by the mis-firing cylinder.
just sayin
Moffman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by rondo rondo wrote:

Now wait a minuet.......You might consider this: the improper firing order (wires were going to the wrong plugs-firing the wrong cylinder) caused the problem. so when you were cranking it over, the plug was firing when the intake valve was still open because the wrong plug fired. THATS why the mist was shooting out the carb-that is the fuel/air mix that was supposed to be headed into the engine, but was blown back out by the mis-firing cylinder.
just sayin

This, wasn't the carb but if it was sitting for a while couldn't hurt to go through it. Glad it's running.
sweetevil28 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetevil28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 8:50am
Yea, I agree, the plug order had to be the major issue, but the carb settings were so out of whack that I couldn't get the timing close enough to start. Funny thing happened, we set the timing with the distributor 80% tight. Had to move the wires over a spot so the vacuum advance didn't hit the belt. then tightened it down 90% and it threw off the timing by like 15 degrees and we had to move them back to their original position. That maybe 1/8 - 1/4 inch engagement at the distributor gear made a huge difference in timing. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic