TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fuel pumps... WTH???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2017 at 11:23pm
The issue here is not the fuel seals failing but the oil seal being a crappy design.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2017 at 6:15am
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

Thanks for posting an update Cam. I need to get a new pump & was wondering if your fix on a parts store pump had worked.

Do you have a part # on the pump you have been using??

Scott, the latest pump is an Airtex 905 (for the 69 V8 with electric wipers) but I also bought Carter and Precision brands and they were exactly the same pump. Looks like they are all made by a Canadian company called AAC, though they all say Made in USA, so I assume they have a US factory too. 

Edited by CamJam - Jan/18/2017 at 6:21am
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2017 at 6:18am
Originally posted by maximus7001 maximus7001 wrote:

The issue here is not the fuel seals failing but the oil seal being a crappy design.

Correct.  I've had zero problems with the fuel diaphragm .

Edited by CamJam - Jan/18/2017 at 6:22am
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2017 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by mramc mramc wrote:

I think it is not so much the fuel pumps sucks but that you have old pumps that have sat on the shelf for years on top of the crappy gas we have now days. The high alcohol content acts very like an acid. LRDaum 

Larry, it's the oil seal that fails... nothing to do with the gas, and it's the new aftermarket pumps that are the problem.  In fact, to fix the problem I took the bottom section from a mid-80s Airtex and attached it to the top section from a new pump.  If you read the previous posts you'll see that they no longer stake the oil seals in like they used to.  The 30+ year old oil seal is holding, while the seals on the new pumps blow out in a matter of days or weeks.

The is the '69 electric wiper pump.  I have no idea what the situation is with other years and types.  As I have said earlier, the aftermarket pumps all seem to come from one source now, no matter the brand (the one exception I know of being RobbMc, which is more of a custom product).

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2017 at 6:03am
Staking the seal is probably something they leave out when assembling. So we need to either stake the seal or put something like loc-tite on the seal (remove, put on loc-tite, stick back in and let cure overnight before running).  I don't use a mechanical pump (4.0L EFI), but sounds like something that should be checked first. One more thing to worry about! I hacen't heard of anyone having that issue with pumps sent in to Then and Now for rebuilding, or other small collector car rebuilding services. They likely do a better job than the mass rebuilders.
Frank Swygert
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2017 at 8:43am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Staking the seal is probably something they leave out when assembling. So we need to either stake the seal or put something like loc-tite on the seal (remove, put on loc-tite, stick back in and let cure overnight before running).  I don't use a mechanical pump (4.0L EFI), but sounds like something that should be checked first. One more thing to worry about! I hacen't heard of anyone having that issue with pumps sent in to Then and Now for rebuilding, or other small collector car rebuilding services. They likely do a better job than the mass rebuilders.

Yes staking or gluing the seal,  plus increasing size of vent holes relieves vacuum pressure inside the pump that perhaps causes the oil seal to dislodge.  That's my theory anyway (plus some guys on a Chevy forum). 
BBB69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBB69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2017 at 2:55pm
CamJam.
I have been having this exact same problem with a new Airtex pump on my 69-390. I have oil pissing out the vent holes on my freshly done motor & undercarriage, what a freakin mess it made. I had put a new pump on since engine was fresh. Whoda thunk the fuel pump oil seal would crap the bed so soonWacko. I had 1hr. run time on motor and 30 over the road miles when seal quit and went into oil spray mode.  I am going to follow your lead and do the mods on failed pump.Thumbs Up Will update when done. 

Thanks 

Ray T
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2017 at 5:57am
Manufacturers farm out the lower volume parts to smaller companies. The new inspectors don't always know what t o look for, and the parent company doesn't inspect all the parts. You'd think they would inspect at least the first few, and respond to customer complaints. If you can find a number for Airtex it might be worth letting them know what you found, complaining to the vendor you purchased from probably won't do much good.
Frank Swygert
BBB69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBB69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2017 at 11:37pm
Follow Up, pulled fuel pump apart and found the oil seal & retainer had come out of place in cavity it sits in. Reinstalled and did four stake points, it will never come out again unless I pull it out. To wet to start car outside so I wait until the skies clear here in the east....tbc

RayT
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2017 at 9:09am
Great! Hopefully that's the last time you'll have to mess with it. It's about 8-9 months now that it's been working for me.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic