TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fuel pumps... WTH???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2016 at 6:34am
Could be that the engine is building up pressure inside at higher speeds, but pressure leaks down by the time you're able to measure it. At this point I'd consider one of those stealth electric pumps. Just take the arm off the stock pump and make a sheet metal plate to go between it and engine block. Dummy up the connections or alter the pump and push fuel through it with the electric.
Frank Swygert
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2016 at 7:39am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Could be that the engine is building up pressure inside at higher speeds, but pressure leaks down by the time you're able to measure it. At this point I'd consider one of those stealth electric pumps. Just take the arm off the stock pump and make a sheet metal plate to go between it and engine block. Dummy up the connections or alter the pump and push fuel through it with the electric.

If using an original Carter pump doesn't fix it, that will be my very next step,
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2016 at 7:42am
Originally posted by Red20 Red20 wrote:

Well, if you're ever in Oceanside these days, you'll see my yellow 1969 screamin' down the I-5. It was originally a 290 SST car. It seriously had only 16k well documented miles on it when I bought it in Hawaii a couple years ago for $2,000.

Maybe when I rebuild my overdrive tranny it'll go from screamin' to talking in a raised voice. And I'll frequent the gas station a little less often...

I'll dig the fuel pump out of whichever parts bin I put it in tomorrow. Good luck!

16k miles for $2k? What a find!
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2016 at 8:17am
Having 2 AMC cars with 258 6 cylinder daily driven for decades I can tell you that the alcohol ate every fuel pump so far. The longest I have ever got out of one is 4 years.

The original 49 year old dual action pump on my 68 Javelin 290 just started leaking in april. It is a very reliable design. I sent it out to Then and now for a rebuild.

Did you ever solve the oil leak from the vent hole issue?

Edited by maximus7001 - Sep/26/2016 at 8:29am
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2016 at 8:47am
Originally posted by maximus7001 maximus7001 wrote:

Having 2 AMC cars with 258 6 cylinder daily driven for decades I can tell you that the alcohol ate every fuel pump so far. The longest I have ever got out of one is 4 years.

The original 49 year old dual action pump on my 68 Javelin 290 just started leaking in april. It is a very reliable design. I sent it out to Then and now for a rebuild.

Did you ever solve the oil leak from the vent hole issue?

No, that's the problem I'm still chasing. I haven't had any problems with them leaking fuel.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2016 at 1:42am
I'm getting a strange error message on the PM page, so I don't know if my last message got to you. However, I have the fuel pump all packed up for you. Let me know if you didn't get my PM with PayPal info in it.

It'll need a good cleaning and a rebuild. The 290 was started and ran last in the 90s.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2016 at 10:00am
Yep Josh, I got your message and have sent the funds.  My mailing address (in case you can't open the message) is:

Cameron Earnshaw
10715 E. Valley View Drive
Cornville, AZ  86325

Thanks again for all your trouble!

Cam
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2016 at 6:41pm
I think I've ruled out any mechanical problems with my engine causing excessive crankcase pressure (see earlier post about leak-down test) but I'm still not sure that it's not a PCV problem.  PCV has lots of suction on it at idle and when I rev the engine up, but is it possible for the valve to be the wrong one or maybe the hose running to the intake manifold is undersized?

Also, I am missing a small smog pump vacuum hose.  From the TSM it looks like it runs from the air injection manifold to the rear of the intake manifold, near the PCV valve, but I don't seem to have a fitting for it on my Edelbrock Performer.  Can anyone tell me where that hose might go?

If I keep my foot out of it and keep revs below about 2,000 rpm, the fuel pump doesn't leak oil, but otherwise it sprays everywhere and I'm certain it's coming out the fuel pump vent holes.  Perhaps I'll rig up a vacuum gauge to the dip stick tube and see what it reads when I'm driving down the road.  I just can't believe that I've had four bad fuel pumps within a few hundred miles!
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2016 at 4:43pm
Here's an interesting thread from a hot rodder forum.  Though the car is a Mustang, the basic design of the fuel pump is the same as ours.  If you do some searching on Goggle, you'll find this oil leak problem is extremely common with pumps of this design.  I haven't been able to find an original '69 Carter M-4656S pump to take apart to see how the oil seal is designed, but I just took apart an Airtex 905 pump that was manufactured in 1986.  The design of the seal in that pump looks exactly the same as the current Carter, Airtex, Precision, etc.  I don't know if they use the same seal material now as they did back then-- or if maybe this problem has been going on for years-- but the design seems to be prone to leaking and we don't have the choice of different designs like we used to. 

The solution these guys came up is clever-- exactly the sort of thing I was considering-- but they've already done it.  Would be nice to know whether it held up over time.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/carter-edelbrock-fuel-pump-carb-problems-212139.html

One thing they mentioned, but didn't follow up on, was perhaps the vent holes are too small.  I had wondered this myself.  Seems to me that if that were the case that it would create a vacuum in the cavity as the diaphragm moved in and out, and that could perhaps draw oil past the seal at high RPMs.  I have an extra pump here, so I'm going to make the vent holes larger to see if I can learn something.  If that doesn't work I can still use the pump to try the mod the Mustang guys did.

Edit:  The original vent holes were 3/32" and I'm drilling them out to 1/8".  Will follow-up to let you know how that worked. 

Edited by CamJam - Oct/06/2016 at 5:03pm
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2016 at 8:46pm
I put one of the leaky pumps back on the car today after enlarging the vent holes.  This is the small hole in the center of the photo. There's one on each side of the pump. I had taken this pump apart, but I could find nothing wrong with it, so I put it back together with no changes other than enlarging the vent holes from 3/32" to 1/8".

I then drove to town and back, about 16 miles, at mostly around 55-60 mph. No leaks!  I'm not ready to say yet that the enlarged vent holes definitely fixed it, because it seems that they didn't leak all the time even before. I think what happens is that occasionally oil gets drawn into the bowl, and it sprays out the vent holes under pressure. I think some oil remains in the chamber and continues to get pushed out afterwards, even though the seal is not seeping oil at the time, so it appears the pump is leaking all the time when in fact it's only at high rpm that oil gets past the seal.

The vent holes are there to equalize the air pressure in the diaphragm chamber as the diaphragm moves in and out. In case you missed my last post, my theory is that the vent holes are undersized, causing a vacuum in the chamber at high rpms each time the diaphragm moves inward.  When that happens, oil is drawn past the seal, into the chamber, and sprays out the vent holes each time the diaphragm moves out again.

Tomorrow I'll try a 70 mph run and see what happens.  The initial results are encouraging though.

Edited by CamJam - Oct/08/2016 at 9:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic