TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fuel pumps... WTH???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2016 at 6:00pm
Well, my 2 month old carter fuel pump from summit, bit the dust. Smelled fuel for a couple days, but couldn't pin point it, the this mourning, there was a puddle under the car, and the lower half of the pump was wet and grimy.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2016 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by 73hornut 73hornut wrote:

Well, my 2 month old carter fuel pump from summit, bit the dust. Smelled fuel for a couple days, but couldn't pin point it, the this mourning, there was a puddle under the car, and the lower half of the pump was wet and grimy.

My latest is a Carter from Summit too!  It looked exactly like the "Precision" brand I bought from O-Reiily's.  I'm pretty sure the only difference was the box it came in.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

amc401t10 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc401t10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2016 at 5:26pm
I've got 2 Carter's 15 to 20 years old with no problems, the ones that bolt together and can be clocked .
I think no one has quality control anymore .
1-owner 74 gremlin x 401, t10,3.73 12 bolt,750carb,reed 250@50 cam, roller rockers,msd,offy int.
72 amc matador 401 727
84 j10 ,360, 727
1970 4-door rebel sleeper(455 pontiac,turbo 400)
79 spirit,4.2
klvn8r View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klvn8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2016 at 7:55pm
Cheap ethanol/gas eating the seals out?  Just a thought....   How about getting a RobbMC fuel pump?

klvn8r
MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2016 at 11:10pm
I am wondering the same thing, the new fuel blends not working well with parts on cars that sit more than being driven.
1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2016 at 8:02am
There shouldn't be enough ethanol in gas to mess with the seals -- unless maybe you're running E-85. Modern gas won't last more than six months without an additive like Sta-Bil though. Even at six months it starts to get less volatile. It's designed to vaporize easier, so some components evaporate much quicker.

These apocalypse shows that have cars running around years after everything has broken down always leave me with my eyes rolling. Producers didn't do enough research! Six months after the refineries shut down you'll be walking! Maybe if you got a stash of Sta-Bil from some auto parts stores and managed to dump it in a stash of gasoline (commandeered a gas station?) you could drive some for up to a couple years -- so claims Sta-Bil.  But you have to have a manual pump to get it out, can't go too far from your stash, and it will run out eventually. Of course there is always the diesel option, and bio diesel...  or an alcohol conversion. Then batteries wear out in 5-6 years, so you better have a stick shift and always park on a hill. So a little 58-63 American with a flat head and three speed sounds like a really good apocalypse car...  the OHV requires a bit more maintenance, the flat-head is low enough rpm that oil won't be a big issue. I wonder how long veggie oil would last in the sump, and how long the engine would last with it...
Frank Swygert
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2016 at 9:30pm

Originally posted by THE MENACE THE MENACE wrote:

Cameron, have you checked the fuel pressure while cold? And then have you checked fuel pressure at different RPM's while the car is fully warmed up?

Excessive crankcase pressure can contribute to oil leaking, so you might try ruling that out first.

Dennis

So I've now gone through FOUR fuel pumps in about 600 miles!! 

Crankcase pressure seems fine.  I put a piece of paper against the oil filler tube and it actually is creating a little suction. Just to be sure though I removed the PCV and oil filler cap for a test drive and the pump still leaked oil.

I also did compression and leak down tests.  My worst cylinder was at 16% leak down, most were between 5 and 12%, compression at 150-155 on all cylinders except two, which were both at 145.

Oil pressure is 60 psi at idle, goes up about 5 psi when engine is revved.  That's with a cool engine (80 degrees F ambient temp) and 5-30 oil.

I have not measured the fuel pressure yet.  What would that tell me? The car runs fine, just leaks oil out the pump vent holes.

I mentioned in another thread that all the fuel pumps that I've bought (Carter, Precision, Airtex, etc.) look exactly the same.  I did a little investigating and they all seem to be made by a company called AAC, so unless you buy a custom McRobb pump these days it looks like maybe they all come from the same factory, and from the photos I've seen, the design of the oil seal looks different than the original Carters that the AMC factory used, even though Carter still uses the same part number.

I've been trying to find an original style Carter. I thought I had found a NOS one, but turned out it had been already sold, so I'm still looking.  Even a bad one that I can rebuild would be fine. I'm trying to stick with something that looks stock, so that's why I don't just buy a McRobb pump.

I did take my last leaky (current production) Carter apart and the oil seal and diaphragm look fine, so now I'm really stumped. Seems to me that perhaps the oil seals can't take high RPM. Wasn't that the reason Carter originally came up with the X cast version back in the day?  I think I read that on a Mustang forum.

I'm going to put a plate over the end of the defective Carter pump and put an air valve on it so that I can inject a little air to see if perhaps the oil seal is leaking where it's pressed into the pump body.  The part of the seal that I can see looks fine though.  Perhaps the rubber is just too hard to make a good seal at high rpms??

I'm all ears in case anyone has any ideas.  BTW, whenever I change a pump they don't leak immediately. They can be fine for a few weeks, but then they eventually leak oil out the vent holes, and it's always after a run to town at a highway speeds. Maybe I can rig up a pressure gauge to the dip stick tube to see what crankcase pressure is when I'm going down the road?

Thanks!

Edited by CamJam - Sep/25/2016 at 10:03pm
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2016 at 11:53pm
I have the original fuel pump that was on my 290 that only saw 16,800 miles since new. It'll likely need a rebuild from sitting since the early 90s, but let me know if you want it for a couple bucks and the cost of a flat rate box.

I had the same problem on a few of my Jeep engines. I'm running an Aeromotive Stealth electric pump nowadays in the Javelin.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2016 at 12:53am
Originally posted by Red20 Red20 wrote:

I have the original fuel pump that was on my 290 that only saw 16,800 miles since new. It'll likely need a rebuild from sitting since the early 90s, but let me know if you want it for a couple bucks and the cost of a flat rate box.

I had the same problem on a few of my Jeep engines. I'm running an Aeromotive Stealth electric pump nowadays in the Javelin.

Heck yeah, Josh. I'll take it!   PM coming your way in the morning. Thanks a bunch!!

BTW, I was with my mom when she bought a new 290 Javelin from Ocean Rambler in Oceanside in 1969.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2016 at 1:27am
Well, if you're ever in Oceanside these days, you'll see my yellow 1969 screamin' down the I-5. It was originally a 290 SST car. It seriously had only 16k well documented miles on it when I bought it in Hawaii a couple years ago for $2,000.

Maybe when I rebuild my overdrive tranny it'll go from screamin' to talking in a raised voice. And I'll frequent the gas station a little less often...

I'll dig the fuel pump out of whichever parts bin I put it in tomorrow. Good luck!

Edited by Red20 - Sep/26/2016 at 1:30am
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic