TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

fuel pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fuel pump
    Posted: Aug/20/2014 at 8:15am
I have a '58 American with the I-6, it was a nonrunner when I bought it. Someone had installed the fuel  AC double action pump upside down.I bought another AC pump, however I have no idea what the two 1/8" pipe thread ports on the bottom side the the pump should be hooked to.  Any ideas??? I still have the 62 American for cheap parts if someone is in need of something. Give me a call to see if what you need is avaible from the 62,  4192874871......Thanks  Gene
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2014 at 9:33am
The bottom two ports are for the vacuum wipers. They should be marked on the pump as WIPER and MAN. A vacuum line goes from the intake manifold to the MAN port and another line goes from the WIPER port to the vacuum motor.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
GeneSS View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2014 at 6:46pm
Thanks for the reply! I figured it would be simple. The things I'm finding on this are unreal. I'm not sure the upside down mounting of the fuel pump may not be the best one yet! Thanks again!   Gene
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2014 at 9:17am
Doesn't matter if the pump is "upside down" or not, the arm just have to hit the lobe on the cam right.

The MAN side of the vacuum booster pump is connected straight to the manifold. Should be a fitting for it, or a pipe plug you can pull and put a fitting in. The other line goes to the vac wiper motor. If the wipers don't work very well it's because the motor is worn out. I'd contact Peter Stathes (www.amcrambler.com) and order a rebuilt one if you plan on keeping the car. You can revive it for a while (6 weeks to 6 months...) IF the problem is just the seal around the flapper by taking the bowl off (uses funky screws -- pliers will do the trick) and greasing the edges of the flapper with wheel bearing grease. The seal in the originals is leather and dries out over the years. It's NOT a bad design or seal, it's 56 YEARS OLD!! A rebuilt motor has a better seal that will last longer. Nothing to worry about for 20-30 years anyway! If the motor an booster both work well vac wipers are just as good as electric. They were used on some military vehicles up into the 80s, may still be on new model duce-and-a-half trucks.
Frank Swygert
GeneSS View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2014 at 6:36pm
Thanks for the additional information
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic