TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fuel pump. Volume?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocLong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel pump. Volume?
    Posted: Mar/29/2019 at 4:11am
Ok. I have a tough one ..I think.

I've had the car, 65 Classic, for about a month now. I got it in an "idle but not drive" state. 

The first issue I encountered was a carb with missing pieces. I replaced the carb with a "known good" unit off eBay and the car started right up and I was able to get around the block. It would drive about 5 minutes and then kind of sputter to a stop. 2-3 minutes later it would start back up and go again for about 5 minutes. 

For giggles I pulled the bowl on the fuel pump. It was gross, but much cleaner than I expected. I cleaned the bowl and screen and threw it all back together.

This led me to the ignition system, thinking heat soak, as I could see fuel when actuating the throttle and looking in the carb. Seemed like the same issue I once had with an old VW. The coil would heat up and essentially shut down.

Coil checked out at 6ohms...so I replaced the coil, cap, rotor, plugs, wires and put a pertronix ignition in.

Car wouldn't start. I decided maybe when cleaning the fuel pump bowl I "unprimed" the system and gave her a shot of starting fluid. The car started right up and ran smooth until the starting fluid had run out. 

Next I popped the fuel line off the carb and had the wife crank. The output of the fuel pump was less than I would expect. 

It was kind of a "splirt." A half squirt half spray type deal. 

So...does anyone know what kind of volume I should be getting from the pump while cranking?

Any other thoughts?

This car is driving me mad.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2019 at 11:47am
The TSM will tell you the volume specifications.  Like a quart in a minute or something like that.
Ive put a bottle of gas and a hose on the fuel pump to eliminate the fuel lines and gas tank.  
Has this car been sitting??

Edited by purple72Gremlin - Mar/29/2019 at 11:49am
DocLong View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocLong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2019 at 12:46pm
Tonight I'm going to try and run it off a gas can. 

The car has 65k miles so yes, it has done some sitting.

Unfortunately the ONLY rust on the car is where the gas tank straps bolt to the trunk floor...or I'd have already dropped the tank. I need to fab some 2x3" patch panels. 

I am hoping I don't have to replace the tank.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2019 at 2:23pm
My thought would be a dirty tank. Remove the tank and clean it out.

I would start by flushing it good with water.
Next, put some large rocks in the tank and shake it real good and flush some more.
In time after repeating the procedures it will be clean. 

Blow the fuel lines with air and replace any rubber line in the system.

Some say to coat the tank but I never do.

You will probably get 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket full of trash out of the tank.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
DocLong View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocLong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2019 at 5:04pm
Never did figure out the volume...but...

I recalled a box in the trunk of the car when I got it and remember it having a fuel pump in it. Dug it out and found the original Carter and a typed letter from one of the bigger AMC parts houses (starts with a B, can't remember.) It was the core return paper work. So assuming a new pump, I took the pump off the car and pulled the bowl again only to find I hadn't seated the sealing gasket properly and was sucking more air than fuel.

Fixed it, put the pump back on and Bam...she runs great.
DocLong View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocLong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2019 at 5:06pm
Also, I syphoned about 5 gallons out of the tank and another 1/2 quart or so into a mason jar. Compared it to a mason jar of fresh fuel and they were indistinguishable from one another.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2019 at 11:14pm
the rubber diaphragms in that old pump are... old. and new gasoline eats old rubber, which needs littel help to crack and leak.

see if you smell gasoline in the oil. that's the usual symptom of a bad fuel pump.

i've never had to measure volume of a pump; usually a hose into a jar/bottle and a few cranks, you get a half cup in 10 seconds of cranking, whatever the volume is, you can eyeball that it will fill the carb in short order!

sorry you're having all this grief. there's a lot of little things to creep up and annoy you.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

DocLong View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocLong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2019 at 5:00am
I tried everything...and was even about to pull the trigger on a new pump. 

I decided to drop the tank, and holy smokes...it was almost solid.  That would explain why I could only siphon so much fuel. 

The float and the sock were both nearly indistinguishable. 

The tank looks fantastic tgough...from the outside.

It's currently at a radiator shop to be hot tanked. Ordering a sending unit today. 

I would say this should cure my drivability issues. 
fts1966 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fts1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2019 at 11:50am
im dealing with the same issue  im rebuilding the fuel pump this coming weekend.  
did the tank boil and reseal and new float and sock and rebuild card and transmission module new coil pertrinics is good i checked with tack and light.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic