TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fuel Pressure dropping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2015 at 9:00am
Originally posted by newrebelguy newrebelguy wrote:

Maybe you guys can help me diagnose. When I start up my '67 Rebel (290 V-8, Carter fuel pump) I see 6-7 PSI on the fuel pressure gage near the carb inlet, same as always. But after car warms up, if it's parked and idling, pressure drops down to 3psi, and then even lower

Carter makes both mechanical and electrical fuel pumps.

So if the gauge is correct, then it is possible the pump is failing (I've had that happen) the pick up tube is getting clogged (that too) the line from the tank to the hard line on the car is cracked and air is getting sucked in (had that happen more than you want to know) or if the car is running fine the gauge is suspect.
It has been over 100 degrees now every day since June or so and I have a few AMC cars and had a few more and frankly I am just not a big believer in Vapor Loc as a major repetitive problem. I lived here since 1996 or so and have yet to have a vapor lock problem. I have had the others.
I think Vapor Lock is thrown out as a potential problem when people are clueless as to what is happening.
If this is a mechanical problem as parts warm up they expand and things change. I have never used a fuel gauge until recently on carburetor equipped cars so I am not sure what happens to them long term. Although my most recent build uses an electric fuel pump and the gauge goes with the package.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
newrebelguy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrebelguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2015 at 6:55pm
Thanks guys (and especially Crossrambler in NV), you helped me realize that my new liquid filled fuel pressure gage was giving false low readings! In hindsight, it's easier to see how the elevating temperature under hood makes that liquid expand and builds up pressure inside the gage, screwing up the action of the Bourdon Tube in the gage. If you Google this topic there is A LOT out there, now I'm better educated. I never thought to mention the new liquid filled gage since I had a gage there over the last 5 years (a "dry" cheapie Mr. Gasket that finally failed) and the initial new reading was spot on, so I trusted the new gage.

My fix was to drill a tiny hole (.039" in my case) in the top of the gage so the pressure inside stays equalized (others apparently have done the same). There's even one gage out there with a bleeder valve on it just to address this common problem. Once the engine bay is warmed up I can pinch my finger over that hole and watch the gage loose half a pound of pressure in about 1 minute. When I release my finger it immediately returns to 6 PSI.

So now I can further assume that my very occasional lean stumble is not due to low pressure/half empty fuel bowl (unless I miss diagnose that too and it's not a lean stumble). I'll try a bigger squirter for that...last jump up in squirter size made thing seem better.

Dave
newrebelguy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrebelguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2015 at 7:02pm
That's crossramrambler Jim in NV!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic