TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

fuel injection vs Carb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2018 at 4:36am
I just checked that out on Holleys website, it supports up to 350hp I like that a lot. I wouldn't even need to change manifolds! But to be honest I'd probably change the manifold anyway.

Edited by JolleyGreenSST - Aug/15/2018 at 4:42am
"God is good all the time and all the time God is good!"
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2018 at 6:37am
One thing that makes it hard to compare new to reuse is most people don't put a value to their time. In some cases the "higher" cost of a new system is the cheaper way to go when you add in your labor/time vs obtaining a used system and the time spent obtain, installing, and troubleshooting it. Did I say that right? Sounds funny when I read it.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2018 at 9:54am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Don't forget that there is some additional cost with upgrading the fuel system, so that's on top of $795 for the Fitech, but presumably the same with the GM system.

I saw that Holley has now released a Sniper version of the 2 barrel Carter carb, that would probably suit a lot of applications and be a direct bolt on to 2 barrel 360 motors found in Jeeps.

Personally... I'd go with this one for a v8... they just lowered the price by $100. 

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/sniper_2300_2bbl/parts/550-849
JolleyGreenSST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2018 at 11:55am
Not to mention the fact that there self running also and the price is good too! So yes there are other factors to consider.
"God is good all the time and all the time God is good!"
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2018 at 4:44pm
Both the two barrel Sniper systems, Holley or Carter BBD are tated at 350 HP, so it probably makes no difference in terms of performance, just packaging. Great to see them adding some more AMC parts to the lineup with this matching distributor as well:

Huntindog View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huntindog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2018 at 1:02pm
Thank you guys for all the great insight into the world of 360 AMCs.
I'm new here and to AMCs other than just the basics.
This will be a first for my CJ5 and it looks like all I need now is more MONEY!!
scotty54 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotty54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2018 at 8:01am
I think the new generation of FI is really cool, but I have heard an equal number of success stories and horror stories (maybe "horror" is too strong a word).

I prefer the mechanical action of a carb, even though they are quite complex. There are many good carbs that will function perfectly on a trail, and proper carb tuning will get you MPG's. I have used factory Motorcraft, AFB's and Holleys with equal success. Now I am trying my hand with an Edelbrock.

When FI and quality carb prices are more in-line with each other, or the technology becomes more user friendly, I will give it a shot. But for now I still like carbs.
jblue1555 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblue1555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2018 at 9:13am
Just finished installing rebuilt 360 using Fitech  and their in tank pump without the reg. You need to run 3/8 feed and return lines, I used a Russel kit, came with hose fittings and fuel filter with quick connects. I would suggest running return line on Pass. side of frame as the return exits that side of TBI. Plan your hole for tank so you don't have any issues with clearance or hoses. Also the pump I used only takes a 2 1/8 inch hole. Very simple to install, program for start , and the screen tells you exactly whats going on with fuel, temp, rpm, vac. Starts instantly runs 13.6 AFR at idle, 14.1 down the road, It is still learning as it hasn't been driven much yet but so far its doing just as advertised.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2018 at 2:59pm
I know the solution! I know how you can have a carburetor but not have to adjust it all the time. 

We'll have an oxygen sensor in the exhaust manifold to measure the A/F ratio of the exhaust. It'll instruct a simple computer to move a set of metering rods in the carburetor to adjust the A/F ratio continuously as the engine runs. We'll call it a feedback carburetor. We'll have the computer monitor engine speed and load and give it limited control over the ignition timing. We can use a servo motor or vacuum kicker on the throttle to allow the computer to control the idle speed. 

We'll call it the Computerized Engine Control or CEC system and we'll install it on all new 1981 AMC 258's! Forget that we had prototype sequential multiport fuel injection back in 1957 with the Rambler Rebel, this will work better. 

I is smart. I has solutions. LOLLOL

Actually my 1984 Eagle's CEC system runs unbelievably well... It's complicated and a pain in the neck to diagnose but it runs amazing when it's all working right. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic