TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

fuel injection vs Carb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huntindog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fuel injection vs Carb
    Posted: Aug/12/2018 at 12:23pm
Ok so I think I have the flywheel thing worked out, just waiting to see if the PO can find the original.
So now thinking about fuel delivery.
This 360 is going in my CJ5.
It has a worn out 4bbl on it now (I think stock), so I'm going to replace it.
Just wondering if TBI/EFI is worth the extra $$$$ that it will need to make it work and what would be best.
Any help in this area would be appreciated.
Thanks
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2018 at 3:37pm
Are you going to be taking this Jeep off road? If so, TBI would be my vote for those off camber situations. Otherwise carb it.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2018 at 5:41am
In your case I would go with a TBI.

Overall performance and fuel economy should be better with a TBI.

TBI is "wet manifold" and should not surrender any power to a carb set up.

Wet vs dry manifold does make for a compromise in full power racing situations.
Gremlin Dreams
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2018 at 6:35am
TBI x3 here... 
Huntindog View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huntindog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2018 at 11:18am
I'm not a crazy 4 wheeler but it will be off road.
I'm thinking that TBI will beat the 8 to 10mpg that the old 304 was getting.
Even though it will be bigger CID.
Just hoping that it will be able to make it to the trail without running out of fuel before I get there.

Any suggestions on size or manufacturer?
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2018 at 12:44pm
I had a Howell system on my 360 CJ.  https://howellefi.com/product-category/jeep-tbi-products/

It came with everything except fuel lines.  It said you could use the factory lines (5/16' and 1/4"), but they did suggest a 3/8" feed.  I added a 3/8" feed and used the factory 5/16" line as a return.  Instructions and support were great.  It started easier, ran smoother, but only gained about 1 MPG (my carb was tuned pretty well, and you are pushing the equivalent of a sheet of plywood down the road).  It even ran upside down (don't ask how I know Tongue ).

Bob
tufcj   
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2018 at 1:00pm
The absolute cheapest way is to get the complete TBI off of a 350 TBI Chevy/GMC from 87-95. That's the throttle body, MAP/KNOCK/COOLANT TEMP sonsors, wiring harness, ECM, diagnostic connector, ignition module, etc... That should cover everything, but, I may have forgotten something. You don't need to use the knock sensor and ignition module, but, for best results, letting the ECM control ignition timing and knock retard would give best drivability. This had been a common swap, so finding info here or a JEEP form shouldn't be hard.
JolleyGreenSST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2018 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by 232jav3sp 232jav3sp wrote:

The absolute cheapest way is to get the complete TBI off of a 350 TBI Chevy/GMC from 87-95. That's the throttle body, MAP/KNOCK/COOLANT TEMP sonsors, wiring harness, ECM, diagnostic connector, ignition module, etc... That should cover everything, but, I may have forgotten something. You don't need to use the knock sensor and ignition module, but, for best results, letting the ECM control ignition timing and knock retard would give best drivability. This had been a common swap, so finding info here or a JEEP form shouldn't be hard.
Cheaper then fitech at $795, new vs new? ( I understand junkyard parts will be cheaper, but they might need to be replaced anyway) also how much power will the gm parts support?
"God is good all the time and all the time God is good!"
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2018 at 10:44pm
Yes, you could/should be able to put it together for less then the Fitech. Those TBI systems are pretty bullet proof. Most of those trucks still have factory MAP, TPS, IAC still in them. Throttle body itself is very simple to rebuild, and there are several injector sizes that can be used to tailor to your engines power level. Two limiting factors are; one, finding someone to tune it (MOATES sells/sold timing software to do it yourself), two, 4.3/5.0/5.7 TBI is only 490cfm. A 454 TBI can be used and is 670.

If you're running a fairly stock 360 a 350 setup might work fine as is. Anything more and you start playing with timing, fuel pressure, injector sizes. If that's the case, aftermarket efi is the winner.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2018 at 1:24am
Don't forget that there is some additional cost with upgrading the fuel system, so that's on top of $795 for the Fitech, but presumably the same with the GM system.

I saw that Holley has now released a Sniper version of the 2 barrel Carter carb, that would probably suit a lot of applications and be a direct bolt on to 2 barrel 360 motors found in Jeeps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic