TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fuel Economy in Eagle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2019 at 11:38am
I have a 74 Gremlin with the 258. YF carburetor.  3 spd, 2.73 gears and I dont drive it fast. I might go 70. I go to st louis, and its mostly highway. 16-18 mpg.  Had a 2001 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0. Automatic, 4x4... 16 was the best it did. And I drive slow. I do the speed limit...and this jeep had over 200k. 
In some areas here, if you live in an area where they have emissions testing the gas will have more oxygen in it. And that does effect your fuel economy. I have noticed it in my cars because I check my fuel economy in my DD.. (and I dont live in an area that has emissions testing)  Collinsville does have emissions testing.and I check my fuel economy in all my vehicles all the time.. I use math. Not guessing "half tank there and back". I check all of them. My trucks too.

Edited by purple72Gremlin - Mar/20/2019 at 11:43am
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2019 at 9:49pm
the MPG in my little 195.6 OHV has been steadily dropping. stock, in the '63, i routinely got low/mid 20's on y daily 100 mile commute, overall average. now, with the 5 speed, twice the carb, more compression, driving it about twice as fast, scrubbing my good tires to the wear bars in 20K miles, aggressive driving on mountain roads, it just gets worse and worse as the car gets faster and faster.

i'm not sure what to do. should i go faster?

(on the 2018 California Melee, i got about 16 mpg in sections. lol).

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2019 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

the MPG in my little 195.6 OHV has been steadily dropping. stock, in the '63, i routinely got low/mid 20's on y daily 100 mile commute, overall average. now, with the 5 speed, twice the carb, more compression, driving it about twice as fast, scrubbing my good tires to the wear bars in 20K miles, aggressive driving on mountain roads, it just gets worse and worse as the car gets faster and faster.

i'm not sure what to do. should i go faster?

(on the 2018 California Melee, i got about 16 mpg in sections. lol).

You might try removing the brakes to save weight and prevent drag. Take off the turn signals for more weight savings - no self-respecting Iowan uses them, why should you?

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 1:06am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Good grief, Matt - your mother may see this post! Yikes!!!

LOL - just messing with ya...

Seriously, that's good MPG at that speed. It's speed that kills mileage with ANY vehicle due to the astronomical wind resistance at speeds over about 60.
Your mileage pretty much fits my experiences with all of the 6 cyl AMCs I have owned. your Eagle pretty much matches what Doug got with his SX4.
Further evidence it's doable and not out of the ordinary.
No chance for carbon build-up in that Hornet, eh? Wink

Her station wagon gets poor fuel economy at 120 miles per hour. She already knows. I told her.

I've been known to do some blasting in cars, but most of the time I am a slow lane driver happy just to keep up and be left alone. Kind of my whole philosophy in life.

I only drove the Hornet with my foot buried in the throttle when I first got it. It had a lot of tuning problems ruining it's power and fuel economy but I didn't suspect anything was wrong because it was my first six cylinder and everyone told me how worthlessly smog-choked it was. It seemed to run well, just didn't have much power or fuel economy. I discovered and fixed the problems one by one over time and by the time I was finished it felt like it had doubled in power and nearly doubled in fuel economy. I never had to drive with such a heavy foot after that.

But, for a short while I discovered how much fuel a Carter YF can dump into a 232. It's about 14 MPG.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

You might try removing the brakes to save weight and prevent drag. Take off the turn signals for more weight savings - no self-respecting Iowan uses them, why should you?

lol, don't give me any ideas...

"I make my cars to go, not to stop" -- Ettore Bugatti

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 10:20pm
my idea of fast is on twisty mountain & desert roads, not flat-out straight stuff. not that it's any safer, i suppose. somehow, 120 in a straight line scares the pants off me; 60 looking over a guardrail, yeah, i can do that.

someone in the crew we drive with described us as "slow cars driven fast".

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2019 at 5:10am
The signs on the curves are for recommended RPM, right!!! 
And never go more then 55 on the freeway:)

Edited by Trader - Mar/22/2019 at 5:13am
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2019 at 6:04pm
hi, 1984 Eagle sedan, slightly hopped up 258, cam, rollers, Cloyes, etc. 14.5 to 15 mpg around town, checked 3 times. Not bad imo. good luck, gz
george z
TheBirdman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2019 at 9:37am
eh, I stopped checking, but when I was, I think 13 was my all time best. I dont go easy on that skinny pedal.
As for fuel, I avoid corn, but not because any mpg or power concerns, Ive just cleaned and rebuilt enough carbs that had ethanol in them that I have flashbacks whenever I see those yellow handles at the pump. The worst was a set of goldwing carbs that ran e15, then sat with fuel in them. The corn absorbed some water from the tank or air, wherever, and all the aluminum submersed in it corroded to the point where I had to dremel out the jet towers so I could press the jets back in without tearing the orings to ribbons.
1983 Eagle Wagon
4.0 from 93 cherokee
AW4, NP242, and EFI from 99 cherokee
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2019 at 11:44am
Originally posted by TheBirdman TheBirdman wrote:

eh, I stopped checking, but when I was, I think 13 was my all time best. I dont go easy on that skinny pedal.
As for fuel, I avoid corn, but not because any mpg or power concerns, Ive just cleaned and rebuilt enough carbs that had ethanol in them that I have flashbacks whenever I see those yellow handles at the pump. The worst was a set of goldwing carbs that ran e15, then sat with fuel in them. The corn absorbed some water from the tank or air, wherever, and all the aluminum submersed in it corroded to the point where I had to dremel out the jet towers so I could press the jets back in without tearing the orings to ribbons.
  which is why I hate ethanol ^^^^^^^^.  Ive seen the same thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic