TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

front turn signal bulb 64 American

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: front turn signal bulb 64 American
    Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 10:34am
turn signals and brake lights quit just because I changed a front bulb. SM calls for a bulb 1445 which I can't find anywhere so I used a 1157. Worked for a few minutes then it all quit. Fuses good. Changed brake light switch under the master cyl. Still nothing.
tamvette68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 10:36am
running lights work
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 11:32am
Originally posted by tamvette68 tamvette68 wrote:

turn signals and brake lights quit just because I changed a front bulb. SM calls for a bulb 1445 which I can't find anywhere so I used a 1157. Worked for a few minutes then it all quit. Fuses good. Changed brake light switch under the master cyl. Still nothing.

NAPA carries #1445N bulb, but it's a single filament bulb. It's a smaller bulb than an 1157 so may not be what you are looking for.     
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 11:33am
Indicators and brake lights both inop... surely has to be that fuse even though it's pretending it's OK? Are you able to clean the contacts in the fuse box, does the fuse have continuity on a meter?

I fitted these white/orange LEDs to my 63. With just the two LEDs in the circuit, the factory flasher unit handled it OK.
http://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=351

When I added LED side repeaters, I had to go over to his LED flasher unit.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 1:06pm
The '64 American TSM indicates the 1157 bulb on the front turn signal.  The 1445 bulb is used for the overdrive signal, automatic transmission quadrant and instrument panel switches.  As was suggested; check that 9a. fuse and clean the holder clips.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
tamvette68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 6:52am
thanks everyone...I will check continuity on fuse holder and fuse again. Headlights are a little dim so I'm sure I have a ground issue as well. Is there a turn signal switch in the steering column that can go bad?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic