TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

front timing chain cover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 11:22am
Sounds like a plan, though I'd personally omit the spray sealer and just wipe a thin, even coat of Right Stuff on the cover side of the gasket in it's place.

Be sure you keep track of which bolt goes where when you take the front dress off of the engine/heads. I like to clean and mark each bolt head with a number. Then I draw a graphic representation of the layout of the bolts as seen from the front of the engine and/or take a few pictures with my phone of all of them in place and numbered. That and keeping any spacers, washers, and nuts with their respective bolts goes a long way towards easy reassembly.

1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
71 Javelin AMX O.O. View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2017 at 1:13pm
Red20
You are correct as the bolts and washers/spacers seem to be all different.  I take a piece of my wife's fabric bolt cardboard that is about an inch thick and punch a holt with the bolt at the location on the part that I'm removing.  I usually do a rough outline of the part, in this case the timing chain cover.  The thick cardboard holds the bolts upright so as you move it around they don't fall out.

Steve 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2018 at 11:59am
All:
I was able to tighten the bolts holding the timing chain cover on the front of the block and the coolant stopped dripping. I was surprised how loose the bolts were and plan on using new lock washers with thread sealant for a more permanent fix. I'm going to try to remove just the bolts without taking out the radiator. I know I will need to remove the alternator, belts fan, pullys and brackets to get to the bolts. Some were pretty hard to just get a wrench on to tighten without taking anything off.

Think I can do this without removing the radiator? I was concerned that the timing chain cover bolts would be too long to remove with the radiator in place?

Thanks

Steve
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2018 at 2:59pm
I have replaced the lock washers on the large bolts holding the timing chain cover on the front of the block and used some thread sealant, too. I didn't pull the radiator, but placed a piece of cardboard over the fins so I could take the fan bolts off. It was a little tricky putting the fan and spacer back on the water pump pully, but with the ratheting creasant wrench, it was easier to tighten them down.

Just need some decent weather here in Minnesota to open the door and check for leaks.
Joseph Lamb View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2019 at 3:34pm
thanks for the good ideas!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic