TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Front Sway Bar bushings 15/16" issue?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front Sway Bar bushings 15/16" issue?
    Posted: Aug/25/2017 at 8:48pm
Hey all, wrapping up a front end rebuild on my Machine. I have a 15/16" sway bar up front. I picked up Moog bushings, pn K3110, and they are too short and float in the brackets. The hole size is correct, but there's no squash room and the bar is too loose. Anyone have this issue? If so, what's the fix? I believe it to be the original bar, it has the clearance bend for around the idler arm. There are no other bushings listed that size for AMC. I was going to try Prothane or Energy Suspension but have to wait for the speed shop to open and hope they have stock. Thanks

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2017 at 4:33pm
Most replacement bushings come with new metal brackets, possibly to prevent that issue. If yours didn't, they probably fit some other application with a 15/16" bar and the part got substituted in the parts book. Your only choices are to use different brackets, shim the ones you have, or get a different bushing set -- either the right size or with brackets. 
Frank Swygert
limachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2017 at 7:23pm
I'm fishing right now, Picking up a set for a 68 Mustang 15/16" bar. I remember they are taller than what I have now, I think the width is the same, I'll find out tomorrow.

limachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2017 at 9:42pm
just FYI, bushings for a 68 Mustang are taller and squash to fill the bracket, but I went with a size smaller (7/8) because the angle of the bracket tends to open the split in the bushing when you crush it. 

madams View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2017 at 1:17pm
The complete kit from Prothane for 68 amx came with 2 sets of sway bar bushings for the different sizes.  They did not include any metal brackets.  I found out I have an aftermarket sway bar bigger than the included bushings.  I was able to mount it in the factory bracked and drill the bushing out to the required size.  The material drilled pretty well and everything bolted up good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic