TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

front suspenion travel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: front suspenion travel
    Posted: Aug/22/2016 at 8:10am
 On my dads 69 amx were trying determine a good initial front suspension limiter setting right now there set so that it has 3.5 inchs of upward travel before it hits the stop measuring the fender to the ground. here is a little about the car its a 28x10.5 tire car with calvert bars, springs and shocks its got a some adkins ported iron heads that flow a touch over 300, 13.2 to 1 compression a .280 @.050 740 lift solid roller and a torker with a 1050 dominatator carb on e85 with a 727 a transbreak 8inch 5200 stall converter and 4.10 gears.
the front sits pretty low, the car doesn't have wheelie bars and we'd kinda like to keep it that way.

Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2016 at 9:28am
3 1/2" is a place to start. Shocks, springs, weight distribution all have influence on the final settings. A smart approach will be to start conservative and make incremental changes. Extreme record keeping is a must to ever get the suspension sorted out on a drag race car.
RADAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RADAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2016 at 9:57am
Calvert does recommend 4 inches of front end travel .
that being said 3.5 is probably a good place to start.
I use a nylon limiter strap on mine .It doesn't hit as hard as mechanical limiters.
something like they use on sand rails.
pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2016 at 10:13am
You can see the adjustable stops we built instead of using a strap type limiter. i don't know the weight bias we are going to try and get the car scaled when we get the alignment done, and as far as shocks the fronts are just some cheesy 3 way adjustable competition engineering's and the rears are the single adjustable Calvert shocks which are set at a 5 figured start in the middle and see if it spins or goes and adjust from there.
RADAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RADAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2016 at 10:43am
I have run as quick as a 1.365 60 with 10 inch ET Streets with the caltracs .They do work when set up correctly .
I also have the 3 way adjustable competition shocks .
probably not the best for repeat ability but they seem to work
pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2016 at 11:08am
i hope we can get it to work like that 1.39 would be awsome i'm really expecting mid to low 1.40s but if we can get there with out a wheelie bar or hurting anything i'll be happy. speaking of the front shocks was going to start on 80/20? and did you replace the strut rod bushing with heim joints?  
RADAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RADAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2016 at 9:39am
Originally posted by pfordamx pfordamx wrote:

i hope we can get it to work like that 1.39 would be awsome i'm really expecting mid to low 1.40s but if we can get there with out a wheelie bar or hurting anything i'll be happy. speaking of the front shocks was going to start on 80/20? and did you replace the strut rod bushing with heim joints?  

I actually built a bolt on K-frame and installed tubular lower A-Frames using the stock style ball joint.
eliminating the strut rods.
with a pinto rack and no stock steering components I save 80 lbs off the front in just steering parts.
More weight from the K-frame and eliminating the strut rods
I still run the stock spindles, springs and  trunion..

pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2016 at 2:09pm
CARE TO MAKE ANOTHER ONE? THAT SOUNDS REALLY NICE
rambler 990 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rambler 990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 9:43pm
Could you post some pictures and maybe how you hooked up the rack and pinion? Mine's a 70 so it's different but 80+ lbs. sounds great! Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic