TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

front spring numbers - left & right?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: front spring numbers - left & right?
    Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 2:53pm

My parts book says for 3187448 use 3187449........... great, I have a pair FROM a 1973 Javelin and I want to use them IN MY 73 Javelin, one of each of the above numbers.
I know that AMC at times used two different springs in the front but my parts book is extremely limited in that it only shows a list of numbers, not really anything beyond that.
Of the above numbers, which would have been left and which would have been right side? (USA cars, Australians drive on the wrong side of the road so likely have their springs in backwards anyway)

My book says ZIP, Nothing, nadda, about left and right.

Thanks in advance........
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 3:19pm
I believe that it's not left/right but with/without air conditioning. Could be wrong on this but read it somewhere. Still trying to find it.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 6:32pm
I know AMC did vary the spring left to right on some cars - but the 73 book I have is missing something. My earlier books show the differences and I believe Eagle used different left and right.

Maybe Javelin used the same on both sides.......

For the 3187448 part number my books simply says "use 3187449"  Geesh, nothing more.
But the book was like SOOO many - the dealership never really kept it organized and apparently didn't put all updates in it.  I have an early book like that - pages out of order, the tabs are all wrong - some not even there, etc.

So all I can say about the 73 is that the springs are listed - but barely, and there's not even any info about special packages, equipment and so on. They simply show the modes (such as 10, 80 and so on) and a couple of spring numbers nothing more.
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 7:38pm
No help. My book doesn't cover '73. Usually an even part number is the right side and an odd number is the left. Although, some parts have a left or right part number but the part is identical such as Sill Plates.
Mike
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

My parts book says for 3187448 use 3187449........... great, I have a pair FROM a 1973 Javelin and I want to use them IN MY 73 Javelin, one of each of the above numbers.
I know that AMC at times used two different springs in the front but my parts book is extremely limited in that it only shows a list of numbers, not really anything beyond that.
Of the above numbers, which would have been left and which would have been right side? (USA cars, Australians drive on the wrong side of the road so likely have their springs in backwards anyway)

My book says ZIP, Nothing, nadda, about left and right.

Thanks in advance........

Hey Bill
According to my 73-74 AMC parts catalog the first digits are "319" not "318". I don't see any Javelin coils that start with "318".  

My book shows:
#3197448 is the left side HD coil spring for a 73 V8 Javelin.
#3197449 is the right side HD coil spring for a 73 V8 Javelin.

Interestingly the part numbers for 74 Javelin coils are completely different.

Dennis  
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 10:50pm
Computers - the best and fastest ways to propagate typos in great number. 
I'll have to look at those part number tags again.

I suspected there was a left and right as these are pretty well matched springs and supposedly from a pretty original car.
Obviously my parts book is missing a lot of pages and info. It's really weird in the front spring area, showing only columns with car model numbers and a bunch of nothing under them save for a single number or two.
I did notice there were different numbers for the 74 - but couldn't tell any more than that.

Thanks, at least now I know the 8 is left and the 9 is right side.
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 11:26pm
This is really weird!
I just looked at the Hornet spring listings and  #3197448 is listed for the right side of a Hornet (Javelin is left side) and 3197449 is for the left side of a Hornet (Javelin is right side). Confused Strange!    
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2018 at 5:57am
In the late '70's-early '80's AMC published a Coil Spring Selector book. I have a copy somewhere in my garage, but it might take awhile [days/weeks] to find it.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2018 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by THE MENACE THE MENACE wrote:

This is really weird!
I just looked at the Hornet spring listings and  #3197448 is listed for the right side of a Hornet (Javelin is left side) and 3197449 is for the left side of a Hornet (Javelin is right side). Confused Strange!    

Wacko

Oh great - so if I swap springs I have to change out the badges too?
Normally the difference was because one was "stronger" (I know, over-simplified) - but why would one car be differently balanced? Heavier Javelin drivers??
Gee, Dennis - just when I was having a decent day, you mess me up! 

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2018 at 7:00am
Batteries on opposite sides would be the most likely answer to why swap the springs. I thought about AC compressor and other accessories, but those were the same on all V-8s or sixes in a given year.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic