TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

front & rear galley plugs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauls70AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: front & rear galley plugs
    Posted: Sep/25/2007 at 12:24pm
Help:Cry
 Any new ideas on removing the front & rear galley plugs that are not moving. Used socket type allen wrench, only got one out, the others would not move at all. Used P & N oil a few times over night, still no way. Drill out one plug and used large easy-out to get the plug moving ( yes I'm going the right direction ) broke the easy out.
Used large beaker bar to get  muscle into removing the plugs, NO GO. Any ideas out there, A little thing like this that you will spend alot of time on is kicking me in the a#*.
Thanks
70 AMX-4 speed-412 service block-Ross Custom piston-Crane Roller cam-Indy intake-Edelbrock heads-Canton 8qt road pan w/ girdle-MSD-Hooker headers-roller rockers-rally pac- go pac-Ford 9"-60,000 mile
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2007 at 12:52pm
Are they the stock square hole socket head pipe plugs ?
I got a 5/16 square drive socket from Snap-On that would fit them.
Always thought all stock plugs had a square hole rather than a Hex hole.
And the square hole was too small for a 3/8 ratchet / extension head
so got the 5/16 square drive from Snap-On.

May try heating them up with a propane torch to help
the penetrating oil to penetrate and break them loose.
Also maybe get the drive and extension in the plug drive hole
and then wrap it pretty good axially with a hammer
to put some axial shock into it to help crack it loose.
Also maybe an air impact wrench creates a hammer type shock.

When replacing, be careful of the depth of the front pass side plug
that's in the forward block face.  It can block the oil cross feed hole
for the #1 main and rods if it screws in too far.

What a bummer.  I hear ya, a small thing like pipe plugs costing days.
Pauls70AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauls70AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2007 at 1:25pm
Thanks Phat for the information, If the factory pipe plug are square,they must have been replaced at one time since my are  Hex pipe plugs. I will give the AXIAL shock treatment tomorrow. From what I been reading about oil control, the pass plug depth is important.
I planning on using aluminum hex pipe plugs or should stick with steel or brass ones? Thanks for the input.
70 AMX-4 speed-412 service block-Ross Custom piston-Crane Roller cam-Indy intake-Edelbrock heads-Canton 8qt road pan w/ girdle-MSD-Hooker headers-roller rockers-rally pac- go pac-Ford 9"-60,000 mile
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2007 at 3:24pm
If they have been replaced it is possible someone used threadlock, try heating.
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2007 at 11:36pm
use a torch and get them cherry red, then touch a candle to them as a penetrating oil. Make sure it is a real wax candle though. It works.
AMO Newsletter Editor
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2007 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Peter Marano Peter Marano wrote:

If they have been replaced it is possible someone used threadlock, try heating.

Why would someone do that???

hey, kirkwood - GREAT TIP!
Yes, real wax and not soy candles, etc.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2007 at 3:20am
Would probably stay with steel since they're less likely to round out but alum or brass would be easier to drilll out if needs be.  Steel may be better than dissimillar metals for compatable thermal expansion rates.  Not that it matters, but Au-Ve-Co sells 3/8 pipe plugs with the square drive hole if someone wanted the original style.
Menace SS/AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Menace SS/AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2007 at 3:33am

I had this problem with a Chevy. V8 once. I heated (NOT cherry red) the area right around the plugs. The casting expanded and they came out fairly easy.
Cool 
Dennis      
My AMC Stable
1968 AMX (Craig Breedlove AMX600)
1969 SS/AMX Replica of(THE Big Menace)
1969 AMX 390,auto,Go Package    
1970 AMX 390, 4 speed
1970 Javelin 401(Big Bad Red)
1968 AMX (FOR SALE)
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2007 at 5:26am
Dennis makes a good point - don't heat the plug itself. And I suppose cherry red may have been an exaggeration, too .

Let's say 'hot to the touch'.
AMO Newsletter Editor
BenM View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2007 at 11:46am
A compressed air can from an office store, held upside-down, will ice something really quick, if you want to cycle through a few hot-cold cycles to help.
76 Pacer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic