TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Front end similarities hornet/concorde/eagle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2019 at 9:25am
Is it a right fender? Still looking for NOS right fender.

Anyway - here we go on the all the speculation and guess as to what they did and why or what they didn't do and why. this is why AMC people have arguments over what's right and proper, trouble judging at shows and other issues. AMC didn't use whatever was in a scrap heap to get by and it's counter-productive to keep guessing and speculating as to what dies and presses they had set up. 
We are about facts - not guessing. so unless we can demonstrate what they did or didn't do - please, don't suggest "maybe they just put this on a die or press to......."

As far as Eagle - we can counter some of the BS speculation as to how they may or may not have simply added a part to a press or die by stating - factually - that with Eagle, it was the first time in company history that they could not keep up with orders for new cars. In fact, they kept things running pretty steady and were still months behind. This has been documented in books about Eagle (and other papers) so to simply toss something together for Eagle makes no sense - but then that's speculation about what they did or didn't do. 
But there is proof in numbers and historical records and books - and personal experience - that AMC could not keep up with new car orders for EAGLE. I waited three months and then I suspect what the dealer did was take a car off their lot and add the options we wanted. They kept trying to talk us into other cars because they couldn't get our order through. We ordered in early December - didn't get a car until into February.

>> I just can not figure out why AMC would change the floor in just ONE model of the Eagle, AND manufacture a completely different seat base to accommodate that change!?!<<

I MAY be able to help with that - roof slope, head-room. The SX4, like the Spirit, has the same door skin as a sedan - but the window frame is installed differently. It's got a different "slant" to it. so there was higher clearance in the wagon and sedan. You can get by with bigger and different seats in the wagon and sedan. You have more height inside, floor to roof. 
I have been told that you can't fit a Gremlin door to a SX4 or Spirit without changing the window setup. 
It still wasn't big bucks for AMC because the lower seat frame is cheap and the mod was simple. The backs are identical Spirit to SX4 - just the base is different. And I know of wagon owners who have taken sets from other vehicles and mounted them with little trouble - they had the HEIGHT inside. 
And as MacGyver found - the floor pan is made of several different parts over-lapped and spot welded together so it wasn't a huge big stamping to change - they changed only one area of the floor - the rear floor pan SECTIONS are likely the same. No big deal.

But let's stop making folks laugh at us by guessing and speculating as to what AMC did. It's just keeping alive all the BS out there about cheap AMC just tossing in whatever they had - which we know is BS. They were indeed a modern car company - everyone in the 80s faced CAFE, EPA and other regs. It almost killed Chrysler and GM made some pretty nasty stuff then, too. They just had the cash to survive their mistakes.  Size matters.

Here's an example of a floor panel joint - the panel in the upper right is the front part of the floor pan where your feet would go. My "guess" is that this is the same between Spirit and SX4.
the other part - lower in the picture, is where the HUMP for the transmission and transfer case is.
Then there's another section behind that for where the rear seats are - again, I "bet" or "guess" this is the same Spirit to SX4
And there's ANOTHER joint in the hatch area. (I have a lot of pics of Eagle stuff)
What this means - only a small section of the floor was made specific to SX4 - the other sections could be the same. 
There, no need for expensive retooling, no guessing "they just added this to the die". They simply had at least FOUR parts to the floor and only one of them needed to change. 
</end-guessing>

1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2019 at 9:28am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Is it a right fender? Still looking for NOS right fender.

It's a Driver's side! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic