TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Front Brake Conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2017 at 4:11pm

Edited by MARTINSR - Oct/22/2017 at 4:14pm
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2017 at 4:41pm
Brian's blasphemy is correct. Drums in good shape are fine, and you can either install larger drum set ups or hack the drums. I've done both in my 63 American. Google 'rambler hotrod drum brakes' on worldpowersystems.com ...

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2017 at 11:22am
I recall a lot of the brake drums being available still due to trailers using a lot of the same components. Some parts are becoming or already are obsoletum or unobtainium.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2017 at 12:09pm
You can also fit shoes that have a higher coefficient of friction and higher temperature range for more braking torque and better fade resistance.

Porterfield is a good source and also makes shoes with race compound for cars that race with drums. Cost about $100 a set for their R4-S compound.

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/categories/Brake+Shoe/Performance+Street.html

Porterfield R4-S

Drum parts still seem to be readily available. AMC disc parts are starting to get scarce. Not sure how long the Scarebird conversion parts will be available? A Wilwood or similar kit using calipers and rotors common to the lower levels of stock car racing may be a better choice for long term ... if you've got a local source for parts.

Hope this helps,RD
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2017 at 12:19pm
The newer Scarebird kits are 90% off the shelf parts and ship with a list of part numbers to use at the parts store or online to replace any wear items. My rotors are from a 1993 Toyota Previa van, for instance. I believe calipers and pads are GM, etc. The custom, laser cut caliper brackets are not part store items, but should last forever.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2017 at 12:47pm
When's the last time you saw an early 90s Previa van? Seems like it could just be trading one obsolete setup for another.

I bought the disc brake setup from a '77 Gremlin to upgrade the drums on my '72 Javelin, but after driving on the drum setup for awhile I find it's actually not too bad. Mind you, I wouldn't want to go autocrossing with them.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2017 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

When's the last time you saw an early 90s Previa van? Seems like it could just be trading one obsolete setup for another.

Well, you got me there, LOL.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2017 at 1:31pm
My opinion:

I've daily driven on Drums (big 12" drums) and hope to never do that again,
luckily that big heavy J4000 (Jeep Pickup) had a manual transmission so downshifting helped when something newer, lighter & with better brakes panic stopped in front of me.

More opinion
my 71-74 Javelins (disc ft/drum rear) never stopped as well as my 87-89 Jeeps (disc ft/drum rear).
Even with new rotors/pads/drums & shoes.

And those 87-89' Jeeps never stopped as well as my 98-01' Jeeps (disc ft/drum rear, w/better power booster).

And absolutley nothing I've ever driven stops as well as the little Fiesta ST I drive now (2700 lbs & 4 wheel disc).

Fact
With all the texting and driving/texting while walking,
having the shortest possible stopping distance you can get isn't a bad thing. 

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2017 at 2:39pm
The Previa rotors are cheap enough you could by 4 and put two on the shelf.
Then when you have 200k miles on the first set you could swap them out.
Same with the disc pads.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2017 at 3:51pm
Wilwood makes a kit . It's listed for AMXs and Javelins from 1968 to 1974 but it will work. But it is costly. Also I believe Doug Noel at American Parts Depot use to list a set up based on the 1975 and up latter AMC factory disk setup. But here again it's old parts that are starting to have scarce replacement parts. You pay your money and you make your choice. Nothing really wrong with the scare bird setup. It works but may take a little more engineering to get to fit right but then all the options available will take that to some degree. And it uses a few older parts too as noted. LRDaum
LRDaum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic