TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Freak Ride IFS System

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Dennis: What keeps the lower arm from twisting with that arrangement? Just the bushing at the arm pivot at the crossmember, or is the line-of-action of your strut rod coincident with the centre of rotation of the lower ball joint .. or close enough not to cause issues?

Thanks,RD
P.S. The stock strut rod also works.

RD,

I'm looking for a replacement idea that does what you described and also doesn't shorten the moment arm of the strut rod and doesn't flex the heck out of the stock strut rod or the hugely stiffer bushings that appear to be the only choice available these days, unless the super soft ones are used and they turn to crap in a short time. I've had a strut rod break from too much flex and from then on I had to make sure the front doesn't droop too far. or compress too far. I have to limit the droop when I raise the car off the ground. Currently I'm using urethane but have a couple sets of more traditional bushings but still not factory hardness.

Stock strut rods typically fail due to a high-load or corrosion starting a crack that eventually fatigues and fails. Unless you have particularly rough roads and excessive suspension travel, doubt the bushings themselves will cause a crack ... but stiffer ones may cause a fatigue failure much quicker.

Some stock cars use strut-rod type lower arms. The arm and strut rod have spherical joints at the chassis pivots and the strut rod is fixed to the arm with a heavy clevis aligned with the arm axis so it allows easy adjustment, but doesn't add another degree of freedom (unlike Dennis' arrangement which relies on the straight bushing at the arm pivot and small strut rod offset to the ball joint for stability).

If the Open Tracker Racing arrangement works, could be a good option for a stock-type strut rod.
Open Tracker Racing strut rod spherical joint

One thing that also helps with the stock arrangement is to leave the strut-rod bolts to the arm snug when adjusting and torque after final adjustment to reduce induced preload. Slot the holes in the arm if you need more adjustment than stock.

Hope this helps,RD

To add... My simple fix to the fatigue weakness of the rod, is to use a cut section of the factory rubber bushing's steel sleeve and wedge or weld in in place between the locating nut and the taper of the rod. By using such a reinforcement, the weak narrow and threaded rod will become stiff and apply forces against the nut to travel into the thick steel washer.

I also have utilised a centering pivot ball within the assembly. So hardly any negative force under travel will be added. Only the tightness of construction places about 10 lbs force to move the strut rod full up and full down. Unlike most bushed setups.

I think the biggest issue that is over looked to cause fatigue other than twisting from lower arm movement is, the stock sway bar. Since its arm length is short and is placed on the lower arm, the sway bar will pull the lower arm forward in upward travel, while the strut rod wants to pull toward the rear. The two opposing forces along with forces under suspension action is not the best for any setup. There would be less binding and twisting without the sway bar than without. Unfortuantely mostvwant their sway bar.

Though dennis' change up puts most all the bind and twisting from the sway bar forces, up against the natural pivot of the strut rod, where it is strong.

The issue is not cured with any strut rod setup, just better implemented as to resolve most of the symptoms with bushing pivots, all are better than stock for durability and longevity. If auto crossing, some consideration must be taken with how your strut rod, is strengthened or is changed out.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 4:27pm

Dennis: What keeps the lower arm from twisting with that arrangement? Just the bushing at the arm pivot at the crossmember, or is the line-of-action of your strut rod coincident with the centre of rotation of the lower ball joint .. or close enough not to cause issues?

Thanks,RD
P.S. The stock strut rod also works.

The tubular arms are way stronger than a stock lower arm so the poly lower bushing does a really good job of keeping the lower arm straight throughout the travel. Most of the twisting in the OE suspension is caused by the strut rod being bolted solid to the lower arm so I let the mounting points pivot to eliminate any twisting of the lower arm or flexing like an OE strut rod has. On my car, with no spring, shock, or sway bar attached I can lift up on the spindle with one finger and go from full droop to full compression with no problem, which tells me no binding is going on. The car sits pretty low so there is not very much suspension travel anyway.

A couple of years ago some here said that my strut rod wouldn't work because it "needed to be bolted onto the lower arm like stock". Well, I had already been driving the car for some time when that was said and I already knew that it worked really well as far seat of the pants handling. A friend of mine talked me into filming (go pro or something like that)the front suspension while driving so that we could see first hand exactly what it was doing instead of assuming all was good. We took my car and ran it through some of the canyon roads up in Malibu. If you don't know that area it's winding mountain roads that have a lot of switch-back turns, some short high speed straights, and hard braking areas getting into tight turns. (Ton's of fun and it handled great!!) When we looked at his recording the suspension movement looked normal and the lower arm never appeared to twist of flex at all. The lower arm frame bushing looked solid and was pivoting like it should.

Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 10:41pm
the lower control arm in the strut-rod suspensions is designed to twist the slight amount that it does.

if you look at how the lower arm inner bushing is held in place, it's a tight interference fit (press fit) in only side of the arm, and a clearance (loose) fit in the other. this keeps it from cracking. boxing the lower arm in will concentrate the forces and make it break in short order.

if a line drawn through the center line of the inner arm's pivot intersected with the strut's pivot, then the two things together would act like a wishbone, the same arc would be described, but it wouldn't be wrestling with the bushing/arm interface.

going by memory, i know the lower arm's inner bushing is aligned fore and aft, and i think (...) the strut bushing is somewhat outboard of that, but not by a lot if i recall right...

Edited by tomj - Feb/20/2018 at 10:49pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 3:23pm
The lower arm does not twist.
The reason there is movement in the bushing where it connects to the chassis is so when you adjust caster the suspension has minimal bind. Also be aware that when you adjust caster you need to loosen the two bolts that hold the strut rod to the lower control arm.

Assemble your lower arm to the strut rod tightly then move it up and down without any steering knuckle connected. It moves surprisingly easily.

In the AMC design, the strut rod takes the brunt of the front suspension force. That's why it's a much more stout piece than the lower control arm. Also note that the first thing to wear in an AMC is the strut rod bushings.

The basic design of an AMC front suspension is not so different than what's on many tube chassis race cars.
Obviously the execution is a bit different, with use of spherical rod ends rather than squishy rubber donuts
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic