TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Freak Ride IFS System

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2018 at 9:02am
Originally posted by JeeperJolene JeeperJolene wrote:

She ;)

So the steering and suspension is original and by that I mean from the factory. It's all pretty unstable at this point. My point of view is, if it still works then leave it alone, but if it doesn't work anymore, then why replace it with the same stuff when you can replace it with something better? (within reason)
One side benefit of the coil over conversion is that you can make ride height adjustments to the  suspension with just two spanner wrenches. That may not seem like much but sometimes just an inch or two of change can be the difference in good tire to fender clearance and/or a better looking stance for your car. It was just what I needed when I changed over to 17 inch tires on my Hornet.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2018 at 6:20pm
My issue with the American is the trunions. It just limits the size tires you can use.

Yes, being able to adj the ride height is the best deal.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2018 at 6:41pm
Simplest option would be to rebuild the stock arms (new bushings, ball joints, tie-rod ends if worn) and fit better shocks and stiffer springs. 

The Control Freaks tubular arms are essentially fabricated stock replacements, so don't improve geometry. Coil-overs can be fit to stock arms if you want adjustability. Biggest gain is from the spring and shock combination if sticking with stock geometry parts.  

Hope this helps, RD. 
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 10:57am
Originally posted by THE MENACE THE MENACE wrote:

I have the Freak Ride coil-over conversion and their tubular upper and lower control arms on my 70 AMX and IMO they are very well made parts. Not the lightest weight control arms, but very stout for sure!     

Dennis, how did you deal with the strut rods and strut rod bushings when you converted to Freak Ride control arms?

Thanks
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 11:35am
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

I have the Freak Ride coil-over conversion and their tubular upper and lower control arms on my 70 AMX and IMO they are very well made parts. Not the lightest weight control arms, but very stout for sure!     

Dennis, how did you deal with the strut rods and strut rod bushings when you converted to Freak Ride control arms?

Thanks

I built my own strut rods! They eliminate 100% of the twisting (bind) an OE strut rod creates.
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 12:14pm
Dennis: What keeps the lower arm from twisting with that arrangement? Just the bushing at the arm pivot at the crossmember, or is the line-of-action of your strut rod coincident with the centre of rotation of the lower ball joint .. or close enough not to cause issues?

Thanks,RD
P.S. The stock strut rod also works.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 12:20pm

Thanks

I built my own strut rods! They eliminate 100% of the twisting (bind) an OE strut rod creates.

Dennis,
Because the moment arm distance is shorter with the strut rod replacements you fabbed,  does that fabbed strut rod pull the lower control arm backward when the suspension is at full droop?
Thanks
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

Dennis: What keeps the lower arm from twisting with that arrangement? Just the bushing at the arm pivot at the crossmember, or is the line-of-action of your strut rod coincident with the centre of rotation of the lower ball joint .. or close enough not to cause issues?

Thanks,RD

RD,

I'm looking for a replacement idea that does what you described and also doesn't shorten the moment arm of the strut rod and doesn't flex the heck out of the stock strut rod or the hugely stiffer bushings that appear to be the only choice available these days, unless the super soft ones are used and they turn to crap in a short time. I've had a strut rod break from too much flex and from then on I had to make sure the front doesn't droop too far. or compress too far. I have to limit the droop when I raise the car off the ground. Currently I'm using urethane but have a couple sets of more traditional bushings but still not factory hardness.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 12:35pm
Greyhound found a couple of replacement strut rod that keeps proper distance, but made for Ford. He was to special order for AMC, yet has not posted yet. I figure after spring he will post his fitment and results.

It is a newer concept to use custom cups and poly pivots, similar to my facotry modded design strut rods.

Both work similar in respects, and are in between stock with poly bushings and spherical cupped bearings.

The total cost of a factory mod like mine can be about $75, and the custom newer designed rods är about $150 and should not require any aditional work to install.

The nice thing about the two versions is you need not geese them and can run through mud and water without need of maintenence. My mod is the newest in concept, though I have been muddling about it far too long while figuring out how my suspension was to be finalised.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 2:24pm

Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

Thanks,RD

RD,

I'm looking for a replacement idea that does what you described and also doesn't shorten the moment arm of the strut rod and doesn't flex the heck out of the stock strut rod or the hugely stiffer bushings that appear to be the only choice available these days, unless the super soft ones are used and they turn to crap in a short time. I've had a strut rod break from too much flex and from then on I had to make sure the front doesn't droop too far. or compress too far. I have to limit the droop when I raise the car off the ground. Currently I'm using urethane but have a couple sets of more traditional bushings but still not factory hardness.

Stock strut rods typically fail due to a high-load or corrosion starting a crack that eventually fatigues and fails. Unless you have particularly rough roads and excessive suspension travel, doubt the bushings themselves will cause a crack ... but stiffer ones may cause a fatigue failure much quicker.

Some stock cars use strut-rod type lower arms. The arm and strut rod have spherical joints at the chassis pivots and the strut rod is fixed to the arm with a heavy clevis aligned with the arm axis so it allows easy adjustment, but doesn't add another degree of freedom (unlike Dennis' arrangement which relies on the straight bushing at the arm pivot and small strut rod offset to the ball joint for stability).

If the Open Tracker Racing arrangement works, could be a good option for a stock-type strut rod ... and if you changed the arm pivot at the crossmember to a spherical joint, you would eliminate any bind if movement exceeds capacity of the rubber/urethane bushing.
Open Tracker Racing strut rod spherical joint

One thing that also helps with the stock arrangement is to leave the strut-rod bolts to the arm snug when adjusting and torque after final adjustment to reduce induced preload. Slot the holes in the arm if you need more adjustment than stock.

Hope this helps,RD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic