TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Frane-acuto rambler, Elmira, ny?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadgrem1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frane-acuto rambler, Elmira, ny?
    Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 11:24am
So I put a wanted ad on local craigslist for amc anything even just info on local dealers. Got a call from a nice guy named mike that says his dad owned a amc dealer Frane-acuto rambler in Elmira ny and he was only 12 when they went out in 1979 and he doesn't have much info on it, says he might have a few pictures he could dig up. Told me stories and now I'm very interested in any info anyone can give me. So if anyone has anything please le me know thanks!!
hoadgrem1973 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadgrem1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2014 at 12:11pm
Spelled it wrong. It's frame-acuto.
Tkay View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 10:52am
Crazy...I'm getting ready for a rummage sale & found a leather key holder (which I got from a lady in Ainsworth, NE that got rid of a bunch of things when her husband died) that is embossed FRAME ACUTO RAMBLER, Baldwin at Gray, Elmira, 734-5231. IF FOUND DROP IN MAIL. Which made me smile since there is not even a state, zip code nor an area code before the phone number! I was going to post a picture but I don't think that's allowed. I'd be happy to send you one....but if there's no interest I'd like to sell it tomorrow. :)
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2017 at 6:43am
Post a pic! If it's from the early 60s there may not have been area codes yet.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_number

"Until the early 1960s, many local telephone companies, as well as the North American Numbering Plan of 1947, prescribed telephone number formats that included the name of the central office to which each telephone was connected. Traditionally, these names were often the names of towns, villages, other locally significant names, but larger communities that required more than one central office, may have used other names for each central office, such as Main, East, West, Central. Names were convenient to use and reduced errors when telephone numbers were exchanged verbally between subscribers and operators." 

Frank Swygert
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2017 at 8:10am
I remember the old formats.  When I was growing up our home phone number was LUdlow-4-6097.  I don't remember, however, when they dropped the exchange name and it just became 584-6097.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic