TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Frame Rot... FIXABLE?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frame Rot... FIXABLE?
    Posted: Aug/01/2015 at 11:16am
OK, here's my front drivers frame rail. I am hoping to go to the local frame fixer here and have him say, "Wow, that's horrible. But I can fix it." And I give him sacks of money...

I'm not really interested in cutting the front of the car off and going with a tube frame or anything wild like that. I just want to nice driver. The outsides and tops of the frame are good. 

So, shoot me straight guys. Think it's fixable? 

Gremmy Power!!!
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2015 at 12:06pm
Is that right under the battery ?

It's fixable if you have that frame section from a donor car.

But very few people would choose to fix that piecing it together from several fabricated pieces, but it could be done that way.

Almost anything is fixable, it just depends on how much you're willing to spend, or if you or someone else is willing to go to all the trouble to fix it right.

My experience with rust like that is that there's much more hidden rust just waiting to pop out, that a closer inspection might find.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2015 at 12:07pm
Ken and Jim just did a similar repair on a customers yellow 70 AMX. Why not check with them to see what they would charge? They are AMC folks that know the cars well!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2015 at 12:18pm
It's pretty much right under the steering box, and both sides. That's what you're seeing in the picts. Has me kind of sick... The seller did not tell me about this! However, I did get reimbursed $500 when I called him out on it. I don't want to start any restoration till I get this figured out. 
Gremmy Power!!!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2015 at 12:54pm
While pieces and parts can be fabricated, I wouldn't. What car is it? What you really need is a wrecked donor so you can drill the spot welds and get all the unrusted (or more easily repairable) parts from the donor.  

Edited by billd - Aug/02/2015 at 6:26pm
Frank Swygert
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2015 at 1:08pm
Frank, with all due respect (and remember I said with all due respect) swapping VINs on ANY car is NOT a grey area amongst car enthusiasts. It is illegal and should not be even brought up as an option. It boggles my mind that people still think it's okay to do this...
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2015 at 1:16pm
Not throw fuel on the fire... Where is the line drawn for replacing damage.

We sold a 65 Corvette roadster that was split in half... I assume some frame replacement was done to get it back on the road. So replacing a frame with incorrect vin markings can be done, just be legitimate and be honest. Most cars from wreckers cannot be registered unless as stated as salvaged.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2015 at 2:02pm
The Gremlin isn't horrible otherwise. I hate to make it a parts car because of this. I am thinking about finding a good frame rail and going with that. But I also want to see what my frame guy says. I'll keep you all up to date on what I end up doing. 
Gremmy Power!!!
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2015 at 2:03pm
BTW: Anyone have a frame rail for sale? 72 Gremlin, straight 6. 
Gremmy Power!!!
junk yard dog View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junk yard dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2015 at 2:42pm
I have a rust free 1968 amx that is all apart that people think is to much money at $5000.00. You will spend a couple grand fixing that spot but if it is that bad there will be other places that will need fixed. Just buy another rust free car and spend a grand or two more to save you several thousand in repairs that a new buyer will be aware of and won't pay much for that car. Good luck but that is a parts car to me. Locally there are cars for $1800.00 and you will have more than that in repairs in your car.Dog
69 sc rambler              
69 bbg javelin 390 mod pack    
68 javelin custom
68 amx 343 4 sale
76 hornet
1963 1/2 mercury super maraude
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic