TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

FRAM OIL FILTER STORY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2014 at 1:58am
Ive never had a problem with any oil filters..............but now I use Baldwin.
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2014 at 7:51am
To all:   I was not looking for " the best oil filter" I was just reporting a story of how a Fram PH11 failed me and caused a low pressure situation . It was on about 2 years but only about 1500 miles.

Have just replace the other Jeeps with WIX 51049 which is the long version. Let's see if this one lasts..
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2014 at 10:40pm
Wix for me. Used them for the past 15 years on all my rides, pontiac, ford, toyota, jeep. So far all good. But you can find some Wix fails on the internet too. My best option is to just always keep a constant eye on pressure, temp, color of the oil, level and any new noise. And even then, who knows.

toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 9:59am
I'll never use Fram again . Put one on my ford .. started down the Hyway and the oil pressure dropped to 1/2 of what it should be . went back to the shop replace the filter with a napa . oil pressure right back where it should be .
Opened the filter just to see .and found the accordions laying flat against each other all the way around and pressed up tight against the center tube .... Makes it hard for oil to get through that .
 from what I can figure the glue they use to hold them in place did not work .
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 10:28am
I used a Napa silver on my sons 2 L Focus. Next one was a Wix. Both had identical paint marking on the outside of the rubber gasket and everything else the same except brand labeling. From my point of view it was obvious they were the same filter. 
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 10:57am
My 232 rattles a bit on start up. It has a Fram. The next filter will be a Wix 51060 which has an anti drain back valve. Hopefully that will cure the problem. Wix 51061 does not have an anti drain back valve. 
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 5:48pm
Wrong! 51060 does not fit AMC 232. The Wix number is 51258 (Napa 1258) for the short one and 51049 (Napa 1049) for the long one. 
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 11:31am
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

My 232 rattles a bit on start up. It has a Fram. The next filter will be a Wix 51060 which has an anti drain back valve. Hopefully that will cure the problem. Wix 51061 does not have an anti drain back valve. 

That's a bit of a "feature" of the old sixes. If you have the owner's manual, you'll even find that mentioned in it. I've tried a number of different filters and have yet to find one that doesn't rattle every now and then.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 7:17am
Even though it may be 'normal' for the 232 to rattle a bit on start up it is still annoying. An anti drain back valve might help a bit but most of the filter is already hanging down below the center thread. How is it on the V-8's? They don't hang totally upside down either do they? 

As the WIX 51060 does not fit the 232 because the base gasket diameter is too large, I wonder if there is a filter out there with an ant drain back valve that does fit a 232. Filters with an ant drain back valve also get used in some applications where the oil cooler is above the filter.

I can't say either that I have ever had an engine failure caused by a defective oil filter and that includes Fram. However after reading the stories of what's inside when cut apart I look for a different brand.    
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 7:52am
EVEN FILTERS WITH THE ANTI-DRAINBACK DO NOT PREVENT THAT INITIAL ENGINE SPINNING WITHOUT OIL PRESSURE. ON MY PROJECT CAR I RUN AN ACCUSUMP. THERE ARE TWO BENEFITS OF THIS UNIT: 1. IT ACTS AS A 3 QT PRESSURIZED RESERVE IF THE PUMP CAVITATES DURING HIGH G CORNERING. 2.. WHEN THE CAR WILL SIT FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME THERE IS A COCKPIT MOUNT SWITCH THAT I CAN THROW THAT WILL PRESSURIZE THE SYSTEM PREVENTING DRY CRANKING.   IN THIS APPLICATION IS IT BEING USED AS A " PRELUBER." A LOT OF TRUCKS USE A SIMILAR SYSTEM. NOT SAYING THAT EVERYONE SHOULD RUN OUT AND BUY ONE, BUT FOR A CAR THAT SITS A LONG TIME A PRELUBING SYSTEM WILL ASSURE A PRESSURIZED START EVERY TIME. ENGINEERS TELL ME THAT 90% OF ENGINE BEARING WEAR OCCURS DURING COLD STARTUP. WHO KNOWS? THERE ARE LOTS OF CAR OUT THERE WITH 200k + MILES WITH NO PRELUBER BUT IF YOUR RACE MOTOR IS SET UP A LITTLE LOOSE SAY WITH .0025-.0030 CLEARANCE AND SITS FOR 30 DAYS I GUARANTEE WHEN YOU START IT YOU WILL HEAR IT KNOCK FOR SPLIT SECOND.
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
  Share Topic