TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

FRAM OIL FILTER STORY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FRAM OIL FILTER STORY
    Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 6:23pm
I HAVE A CJ-7 THAT I BUILD FOR PLOWING. IT HAS A MILD 360 WHICH HAS ABOUT 1500 MILES ON IT SINCE BUILT. HAS A FRAM SHORT FILTER, NOT SURE OF THE NUMBER BUT ITS NOT AN HP SERIES. TRUCK HAS RUN FINE FOR THE 2 YEARS SINCE IT WAS BUILT AND I LEAVE IT AT MY WINTER CAMP IN UPSTATE NEW YORK. LAST WEEKEND WHILE THERE I JUMPED INTO IT TO GO INTO THE BACK 40 TO CHECK MY TREE STANDS. I NOTICED ON THE WAY BACK THE OIL PRESSURE GAUGE WAS GOING NO HIGHER THAN 25. I KNOW THE MOTOR IS SOUND AND SUSPECTED THE FILTER. WHEN I GOT BACK TO THE GARAGE I REPLACED THE FILTER WITH A WIX AND PRESTO OIL PRESSURE BACK TO 60.

ANYONE HAD BAD EXPERIENCES WITH FRAM?
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 6:30pm
Hello Joe,
You will get 1,000 opinions on oil filters here on the Forum.

Edited by dltowers - Oct/17/2014 at 3:56pm
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
jav343 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jav343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 6:31pm
I've not had any bad experience with Fram from back in the day, but I haven't used them for over 30 years. Check this website out;
http://bobistheoilguy.com/
Anything and everything about oil, filters etc. I use Purolator and Wix, personally.
Chris
2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L, 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L, 1968 AMC Javelin 5.6L 
70RebelGeezer View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70RebelGeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 7:05pm
I personally won't use a Fram filter anymore......an 85 yr. old Master Mechanic told me, a number of years ago, that the best oil filter to use is Wix "hands down".
According to the "Mechanic", Fram's quality isn't anywhere near what it once was.......that was enough for me. From that time on, no more Fram.
 All I use now is a Wix filter. A number of the large autoparts chain stores "brand name" oil filters are Wix. 
I recall reading, somewhere, the construction and filtering capability of Wix oil filters. Quite impressive.

'68 Rebel SST
Selling Bellcranks '67-69,'70-up big body cars
3rd gen. American with V-8 Bellcrank assemblies
Gremlin and Hornet Z-bar now available
Z-bar Bronze Bushing
Rebel Gas Tank Straps
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 8:08pm
Yep found that out on my 02 Dodge Durango w/360.
You will ONLY see this if you run an oil gauge not a light.
When I could not get my truck to the dealer for my free oil changes I would hit the local oil change place and they used Fram filters. Shortly after the change I would see the oil gauge would read low when going down the Hi Way. I never had that happen with the dealer filters. I did this 3 times and never will go back to Fram filters.

Now I should say I just had work done by the dealer: Tune up, Timing cover (leaking water) & chain since they were there and it had 160K on the stock chain & gears and oil change. Anyway I see that the oil gauge is reading low now, level is good. I don't know what filter they have been using or what is on it now but will give them a call to see what is up now.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
AMX1972 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 8:09pm
Nothing but a Wix on anything I own. I wouldn't put a Fram on a lawn mower. I had a buddy in NC who spent a career working at the Fram plant in Columbia SC, he told me that several years back they used to at least paint the filters black, but they had since switched to receiving pallets of filters that were already painted orange from China, and they simply printed the brand and put it into a Fram box. I think they have since shut the plant down, and now they just import the whole thing wholesale from China, already packaged.

BTW, Wix and Napa Gold are one and the same. Take the first number off a Wix (usually a 5 for oil filters) and you have the Napa Gold part number.   
1972 Javelin AMX T/A Red 360/4 speed

1968 AMX "The Pied Piper" "Cam Only" 390/727 1/8th mile bracket racer on E-85. 10.92@121.9 mph.
fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 8:12pm
I use the AC Delco pf24 per my engine builder.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
Green AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 8:24pm
 AC Delco pf24 on mine also
69 AMX 390 4speed go pack
72 Javelin 360 auto(sons)
82 Spirit (wife's 1st car)still not done
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 8:38pm
If you just built an engine, you should run it on the break-in oil for 250-500 miles, then change it and run another 1000 miles and change. Filters should be changed both times. You get a lot of trash in a new engine. A partially plugged filter will lower oil pressure, of course. Some have a bypass built in, but I don't know what pressure the by-pass kicks in at. 
Frank Swygert
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 8:53pm
Fram filters are called the orange cans of death in our house.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic