TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Temp gauge connections

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icecalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Temp gauge connections
    Posted: May/10/2019 at 9:38am
Hi all, I’ve just removed an aftermarket gauge cluster that included a temperature gauge that was wired directly to the top of the thermostat with a single copper wire housed in a spring. Trouble is my dash temperature gauge has never worked (the car is new to me) so I’m not sure if someone disconnected it and if so how to test it. 
In the back of it is a plug with yellow, violet, and black striped wires. Where should these wires go to?
Just about to do a coolant flush and it’d be good to have the dash temperature gauge. 
Thanks in advance. 
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2019 at 11:16am
Year and model?

Then search for "wiring diagram" on the internet.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
icecalm View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icecalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2019 at 11:35am
Hi sorry yes, 1975 Hornet X hatchback. Thanks. Found that Violet wire is temp gauge so I'll check it out.  
icecalm View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icecalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 5:46pm
Hi all, just a footnote to this problem of the temperature gauge not working. It turned out to be the sender. Replaced it and now the temperature gauge is working again. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic