TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Carburetor Tuning - Edelbrock 1413

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodare 72 SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carburetor Tuning - Edelbrock 1413
    Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 8:34pm
According to the color of my spark plugs, the rich smell and the loading up at idle and slow speeds, I think I need to rejet the carb. I have the spark plug color chart that was posted and on a scale of 1 to 8 and 8 bring rich the plugs are a 7.

Specs
390 bored .030 with 12.05 : 1 comp ratio
Cam - .565 lift .238/244 @ .050
Engine Vacuum Idle - 12 to 14
Timing - base 15 degrees, mechanical 23 degrees
Spark Plugs - RC12YC gap .045
Edelbrock carburetor 800 cfm 1413
Metering Jets - 413
Metering Rods - 7147 two step
Metering Spring - Orange 5 in Hg

Should I move one step leaner by rod size or rod and jet size or rod, jet and spring rate?

1968 AMC Ambassador DPL - 1972 AMC Javelin SST - 1983 Honda Civic 1500DX CVCC - 28 Years Dealer Experience
TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 8:51pm
The simplest way is to start with the metering rods especially if you are rich at idle and cruise levels. Start 1 stage lean with a 7347 rod and go from there. You metering spring is a stock level and they are for the power mode and the transition to it and shouldn't affect idle and cruise. recheck your idle mixture, double check your float levels, try different rods, then if you need to, rejet. There is a graph in the carb manual on how to approach your calibration.
Goodare 72 SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodare 72 SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by TorqueyAMX TorqueyAMX wrote:

There is a graph in the carb manual on how to approach your calibration.

Where can I find this chart, my book although old does not have that chart. goodare 

1968 AMC Ambassador DPL - 1972 AMC Javelin SST - 1983 Honda Civic 1500DX CVCC - 28 Years Dealer Experience
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Goodare 72 SST Goodare 72 SST wrote:

Originally posted by TorqueyAMX TorqueyAMX wrote:

There is a graph in the carb manual on how to approach your calibration.

Where can I find this chart, my book although old does not have that chart. goodare 

I'll scan it and put it on here.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 9:18pm
There is a chart on page 30 and 31 in your owners manual. Use this chart as a guide. The number combinations guide you for both cruise and power mode. Examples:  No. 19 takes you 1 stage lean on both power and cruise modes whereas No. 20 will only take you lean on the cruise side and keep you a bit rich on the power. Otherwise, go to edelbrock.com

Edited by TorqueyAMX - Apr/14/2009 at 10:47pm
Goodare 72 SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodare 72 SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 9:57pm
Thanks for the scaned copy, I also just found it on Edelbrock.com goodare

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic