TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Vintage Air install in 71-74 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage Air install in 71-74 Javelin
    Posted: Apr/10/2024 at 7:27am
Not a Javelin, but I'm using the original expansion valve in my 63 Classic. It's charged with R-134a, but works fine. Also using the original evaporator and housing inside the car. The entire inside unit is original, but I'm running a Sanden style compressor with serpentine belt (4.0L) and a Chrysler LH parallel flow condensor with a universal drier. It all works well together. New hoses are barrier type. I wouldn't run 40+ year old hoses. I had to mate all the under hood O-ring fittings with the flare fitting inside, so had to have new hoses anyway. I do wonder if an expansion valve calibrated for R-134a instead of R-12 would work better.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work is the original temp control. It doesn't seem to make a difference where it is set. The compressor switched line runs through it, but I can't tell any difference when I move it. I only run the AC when it's over 80 outside, and the evaporator could be larger for the wagon, so it might be working. The AC was sized to make it more comfortable in the car, but it's not as cold as newer cars! Wasn't designed to be in the early 60s.
Frank Swygert
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2024 at 5:25am
Originally posted by CHAR CHAR wrote:

This thread is a bit old but full of good info.  My 72 has original air on it (all of it).  If a clean out, dumping the sight glass and valve and sticking with the R12, and a recharge doesnt work, I'm going to replace/repair the dryer-receiver, maybe replace the condenser to the horz unit with a sanden comp.  Can I keep the evap. valve with the change in charge?  Also, I have the idler pulley and the alt and york unit with a single sheave.  Do I need the dual belt arrangement for it to work with the sanden?
If it hasn't had a charge in it for a long time, do yourself a favor and replace the drier. It's most likely saturated and not functioning. Look for oil stains on the condenser. If there are, or the fins are coming off, you should replace it as well. That's what's going to make it work well. You might consider changing the hoses with new, barrier hose to keep the refrigerant in. Them old hoses are prone to leaking.
Yes, you can reuse the expansion valve as long as it functions. You won't know that until you charge it. The one in the 71 I did, worked just fine when I did it.

You're much better off running 2 belts with the Sandon compressor. As Cam mentions, it will slip with one belt. Replacing the alternator pulley with a double sheeve pulley should get you there.

The first picture was from my car when I added A/C. The second is from the 71. I didn't use the idler pulley. It would squeal when you first turned it on. If I were keeping the car, I would have used 2 belts because one isn't enough IMO. Plus, today's V belts are all junk. They simply don't last. Wooster Kevin has a 2 belt setup and has to replace them twice already in 5 years, because they wear down so quickly.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2024 at 7:13pm
I have a Sanden in my '72, with the a/c and power steering on one belt and the water pump and alternator on the other.  The compressor itself only has one belt on it, though it has a dual pulley so I suppose I could run two if I had to.  Might not hurt to do that as my single belt slips sometimes.

Edited by CamJam - Apr/09/2024 at 7:25pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2024 at 7:06pm
This thread is a bit old but full of good info.  My 72 has original air on it (all of it).  If a clean out, dumping the sight glass and valve and sticking with the R12, and a recharge doesnt work, I'm going to replace/repair the dryer-receiver, maybe replace the condenser to the horz unit with a sanden comp.  Can I keep the evap. valve with the change in charge?  Also, I have the idler pulley and the alt and york unit with a single sheave.  Do I need the dual belt arrangement for it to work with the sanden?
72 Javelin SST P code 360/auto/AC/rear defrost /Go Pack/Polar White w blue cord interior.
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2020 at 6:46pm
It's pure joy when you warm the car up to 190 degrees and no leaks the first time. As I said before, your thread really helped me A LOT.
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2020 at 9:08am
I fixed some bad links had changed to https. I know of 6 people (not including Kevin and I) that have this or are doing this in their builds now. I'm happy to see that this thread has been helpful to those who want to add A/C to their car.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2019 at 6:24am
That's a really neat installation and great photos Mopar_guy!! I'm sure many will appreciate this well documented thread.

Southern Air has some units that are packaged a little differently than Vintage Air and may be a better fit in some cases. Their MaxiCooler III and Superfrost units are really good. In some cases it's what fits over everything else! The dimensions of the Southern Air cases are a bit different from Vintage Aire, one of their larger units might fit where a VA larger unit wouldn't, and vice-versa.  They also have a "mustang style" under dash unit that looks near factory for the American and is perfect for 50s/60s cars, and a wider under dash unit that looks like a dealer installed unit for late 60s/70s cars. The Vintage Air Magnum Gen IV mounts under the passenger side and has ducting toward the center of the car (left end) similar to many factory installations. It would be great for a Rebel/Mat/Ambo. It's the only one that's configured that way.

The only other unit I've found that is much different as far as packaging is the Old Air Products Hurricane unit. It's a boxy unit that's about 12" tall (including duct flanges), 11.5" wide, and 8.5" deep. Wouldn't help with the Javelin, but might work well in other models. They have a side connetion and rear connection (for hoses) model.

Most places sell either VA, SA, or OA products, some customized to individual makes and models, some just dealers. There are some companies selling cloned units, I know Southern Air complained about at least one of their units being cloned a few years ago. Many units are similar, it's just different packaging after all -- AC is AC!! You could get the parts from a junkyard and make your own housing... it's been done before!

Edited by farna - Jun/03/2019 at 6:39am
Frank Swygert
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2019 at 1:58pm
Thanks for the write up. I'm planning A/C at some point. This will be very helpful! 
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2019 at 2:32pm
I added to my original post with more pictures and information.

Edited by Mopar_guy - May/03/2019 at 2:36pm

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2019 at 7:41pm
What unit are you talking about? There's maybe an inch between the dash support and the heater box on this so I'm not sure what bigger unit would fit.
That picture of the black car is Wooster Kevin's car and he has the Control Freaks coilover conversion in it. His build thread is here http://theamcforum.com/forum/untouchable-the-lakeville-javelin_topic91622.html 
My car has a G3 Hemi in it with a Fatman weld in IFS. My swap is here. http://theamcforum.com/forum/hemilina_topic95889.html

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic