TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What's it called? 65 Classic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocLong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's it called? 65 Classic
    Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 5:14am
I noticed one of the bars that run from the axle to to torque tube on my 65 Classic was obviously used as a jack point..and bent slightly. 

What is this part called and where can I get one?
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 6:31am
They're called Truss Bars.  As to where you can find them one of the other members will have to answer.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 11:02pm
yeah, it's common to find those jacked. idiots at Sears Tire Center was hte first time i had one jacked like that (i was 18 at the time, don't hold it against me :-)

if it's *slight* it could be just fine. the front end, i think, has slotted holes. it llkely just slid under the bolt. 

is it driving OK? no weird driveline noises? was this recently bent? or some unknown time ago? 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

DocLong View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocLong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 5:24am
Definitely not recently bent.  Other bent a lot, but enough. The car sits slightly higher on that side (pass. side.) 

No real driveline noise that I can tell, but I can't manage to keep the car running more than a couple miles. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 11:58pm
you could take the brace off and jump on it "straight enough" probably. there's nothing special about that brace, except i think it's got a big fat rivet on the far end. there's that funny fine thread bolt and stack of washers -- read the TSM about that!! it's just thin-wall tube with flattened ends. probably easier to make one from scratch then to find, extract, one from a junk axle if you can find such a thing.

sounds like 'not running' may be more acute!

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2019 at 2:18am
Nothing much to worry about unless the vehicle thrust angle is off. AKA it dog tracks. It probably isn't.

An alignment rack will easily find if the thrust angle or track is off. You can roughly check it at home with a tape measure or some non-stretchable string.

Torque tube cars can get pretty screwed up if the axle gets tweaked or the track bar is not set right.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2019 at 8:07am
Peter Sathes reproduces these Truss Rods.  I have a pair installed on my '64.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2019 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by gtoman_us gtoman_us wrote:

Peter Stathes reproduces these Truss Rods.  I have a pair installed on my '64.

oh, nice! he sells great stuff.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic