TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 JAVELIN CENTER CONSOLE RESTORED

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PABLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 JAVELIN CENTER CONSOLE RESTORED
    Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 5:10am
Hi, 
I post this just to show a way to restore the center console. I´m in Spain and to get exchange parts over here is expensive because the transports fees. 
I did restore my center console in leather. I think it looks good, but it took time. I removed the ashtray because I don´t like smoke in cars. I also glue some magnets to keep in place the seat belts
I began to restore the holes and cracks. The second was to do templates in cardboard. After to cut the leather I did glue it to the center console and sew it. 
He are some photos. I hope that idea helps if you are thinking on doing something similar. 

Bye
1973 JAVELIN AMX 360 AUTO
1973 DODGE 3700 GT (built in Spain)
SPAIN (EUROPE)
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 6:11am
Very nice work! Makes the console look even more modern while keeping it true to its design.

At one time i did have thoughts of doing the Javelin interior door panels and all in leather, but the Prestone car made me drop the idea. Now you have given another thought into it... mostly because I am not much of a seam person, with all the subtle features and angular details. You need a lot of time, and patience, plus knowlege of how to cover like a glove fit. Escpecially the console. With minor details asside, its almost a show piece.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 7:46am
Great Job, very professional looking !!!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 9:38am
'71-'74 American Motors Javelin features much non-symmetrical styling; more non-symmetrical interior parts than any other full production car? (where the right and left interior panels are not mirror copies of one another)

In this way, the '71/4 Javelin is linked to '66 AMX Project IV cars by reason of it's contrast to Cavalier symmetrical design.

...so there's your non-symmetrical Javelin console, for the non-symmetrical interior.

Congratulations; the leather work looks good.
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
PABLO View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PABLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 2:35am
Hi!
 Thanks for your comments to all of you.
304- dude, It´s true that the job takes long time and some skills. Indeed I left it apart for a few months when I was working on it.  I´ll say that if you are able to do de cardboard templates right you will be able to do the rest of it. For the template job you don´t need to do nothing that can not be undo, you can do a go and see who it goes.
If you finally go for it let me know and I will give you some advice and tricks that could help you with the leather.
I had to do the lower door panels  in leather too, because a few years ago I had them done by a professional but was rubbish. He used heat to glue the leather and melt the plastic. After a few uses of the window up and down the door panel was ruined  because the handle had make a circle on the leather. 
I was able to work the plastic panel to its original shape and save the peace. The door panel is much easier to do than the console, no need of sew I will say that you must star for it. 
My panel has a little error on the bottom and left side you see a few screws that should not be there because they make contact with the rubber seal of the door.  But I sow it to late to fix it . 

bye

SPAIN (EUROPE)
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 6:23am
Originally posted by PABLO PABLO wrote:

Hi!
 Thanks for your comments to all of you.
304- dude, It´s true that the job takes long time and some skills. Indeed I left it apart for a few months when I was working on it.  I´ll say that if you are able to do de cardboard templates right you will be able to do the rest of it. For the template job you don´t need to do nothing that can not be undo, you can do a go and see who it goes.
If you finally go for it let me know and I will give you some advice and tricks that could help you with the leather.
I had to do the lower door panels  in leather too, because a few years ago I had them done by a professional but was rubbish. He used heat to glue the leather and melt the plastic. After a few uses of the window up and down the door panel was ruined  because the handle had make a circle on the leather. 
I was able to work the plastic panel to its original shape and save the peace. The door panel is much easier to do than the console, no need of sew I will say that you must star for it. 
My panel has a little error on the bottom and left side you see a few screws that should not be there because they make contact with the rubber seal of the door.  But I sow it to late to fix it . 

bye

Thanks for the additional info... still contemplating myself. I have been careful with restoring the original earlier ABS console, which warped from interior heat and seat cushion pressure. Got it straight again, but the owner had used adhesive at one time. Nothing left but the hardened mess where the seat rubbed.

Been slowly picking it away and hitting it with a propane torch to loosen at the edges. Its a very slow process if you dont want to damage the grain on the abs. Fortunately abs can take some flash heat better than the old hard and brittle adhesive. Already tried abs safe solvents, and none loosened the adhesive.

Ps, you should try to get together with Santiago in Italy. The both of you can do magic on a car. What ever Santiago can visualize he creates very well.

Keep up the good work, and maybe you might get around to correcting the door panel when you feel up to it, if your willing.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
PABLO View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PABLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2019 at 2:17am
HI, 
thanks for the advice, I all rady know Santiago, but I´ll try to check Santiago´s work more often.
Any time you need help just let me know.
Bye.

SPAIN (EUROPE)
gordyzx9r View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordyzx9r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2019 at 8:40pm
Is the lid a one piece or two piece part?  I have a center console and a hinge, but no lid.  Is it available through a vendor?

I ask because on the American Parts Depot page it lists a cover.

http://www.americanpartsdepot.com/images/272%207001C_edited.JPG

But the description says:  "Console Lid (excellent reproduction - padded, like original - black) NOTE: Must re-use original hard plastic backing."

Is the hard plastic backing available somewhere?

Edited by gordyzx9r - Nov/19/2019 at 8:45pm
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2019 at 7:08am
Originally posted by gordyzx9r gordyzx9r wrote:

Is the lid a one piece or two piece part?  I have a center console and a hinge, but no lid.  Is it available through a vendor?

But the description says:  "<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 128; font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: small;">Console Lid (excellent reproduction - padded, like original - black) </span><i style="color: rgb0, 0, 128; font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: small;">NOTE: Must re-use original hard plastic backing."
<i style="color: rgb0, 0, 128; font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: small;">

As for your question about the components of ther lid... the lid consists of the outer vinyl cover, inner foam padding, and plastic inner frame with 7 clips to mount the ABS back plate and hinge. The back plate holds the lock, but usually break around the lock barrel or badly warp and crack with age.

I have a very nice original that had a bad an ABS back plate and warped inner frame. Corrected the warping, but had to create a nice replacement back plate. I used a reproduced late 60's lock retainer barrel, replacement lock, and cut a legal sizd aluminum clip board to a proper shape to fit as the back plate.

Not many back plates to find in good condition, so I had to make one.

Nearing my final stages of recreation, and will coat it with rubberized fender coating, as it has a nice plastic feel and proper look, before its final assembly.

Edited by 304-dude - Nov/20/2019 at 7:11am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
PABLO View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PABLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2019 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Originally posted by gordyzx9r gordyzx9r wrote:

But the description says:  "<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 128; font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: small;">Console Lid (excellent reproduction - padded, like original - black) </span><i style="color: rgb0, 0, 128; font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: small;">NOTE: Must re-use original hard plastic backing."
<i style="color: rgb0, 0, 128; font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: small;">

As for your question about the components of ther lid... the lid consists of the outer vinyl cover, inner foam padding, and plastic inner frame with 7 clips to mount the ABS back plate and hinge. The back plate holds the lock, but usually break around the lock barrel or badly warp and crack with age.

I have a very nice original that had a bad an ABS back plate and warped inner frame. Corrected the warping, but had to create a nice replacement back plate. I used a reproduced late 60's lock retainer barrel, replacement lock, and cut a legal sizd aluminum clip board to a proper shape to fit as the back plate.

Not many back plates to find in good condition, so I had to make one.

Nearing my final stages of recreation, and will coat it with rubberized fender coating, as it has a nice plastic feel and proper look, before its final assembly.

Hi, Gordy and James.

James is an expert and has done a good description. 

On my case I decided to keep the original lid as it wasn´t to bad, just a little bend. I thought on cover it on leather, but It looks like the ABS back plate will brake on the process, then  I´ll have to do a new lid (without the lock will be much easier).  To much work on my case as I got the original to use.

bye

SPAIN (EUROPE)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic