TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 Rambler 550 Clutch Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icescreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 Rambler 550 Clutch Help
    Posted: Mar/18/2019 at 8:05am
Hello,
I recently got a 64 Rambler 550 w/ 196. Overall she is in great condition with 39k miles and last inspected in 1990. I have no prior knowledge of the car before I got her.

I can not get the clutch to engage. It will shift into gear(s) when off, however when running it will only grind, as if the clutch is not engaging at all. If i start her in gear she will lurch forward. The linkage appears to be all there and functioning.

Transmissions/clutch are outside my wheelhouse - electrical, carburetors etc I can figure out. Can anyone point me in a direction to help start to fix/diagnose?

Thank you!
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2019 at 9:00am
Probably the clutch disc is stuck to the flywheel and pressure plate. If it were mine I'd get it started in gear with foot on clutch pedal and try to break it free. Don't grind gears. It is a very weak transmission. Maybe there are other ways of freeing it up that I don't know about. 
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2019 at 9:01am
Sounds like the clutch disc is stuck to the flywheel?
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2019 at 7:40pm
or throw out bearing....not enough pushing on fingers.  How is the free play in the pedal?
Icescreamer View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icescreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2019 at 7:06am
The pedal feel good overall with no play. I will attempt to depress the clutch while starting it in gear and see if that helps. I have also seen some people jacking the rear up starting in gear and then dropping the jack, while the clutch is depressed, to help break it loose.

Appreciate the insight, it may be a few days before I get back to you on the status. Thank you!
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2019 at 5:41pm
The clutch discs on those are not very strong. Years ago mine broke and left me stranded in Vancouver traffic.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2019 at 9:29pm
there should be some play! that's not good.

though it would be tedious, if the bell has an inspection cover (the little americans do) you could back off all six clutch plate bolts, til the lock washers are loose, pry the driven disc loose (assuming it's stuck with surface rust), tighten it all back down and see how it goes.

i don't mind tasks like that; tedious is predictable and simply time.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icescreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2019 at 7:05am
I attempted last night to start her in gear with the clutch depressed, unfortunately more of the same. I may attempt the jack drop method that I have seen some others do successfully once I can get her on some pavement. I will also consider the inspection cover pry as well. The adventure continues!

Thanks everyone - appreciate the guidance.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2019 at 9:53pm
so, how long has it been since this car was driven? or started?

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icescreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 7:02am
The last owner had her for 10 years. When she got it ( from a family member ) it was delivered to her home on a flat-bed and stored indoors prior to her taking possession. It was then stored outside under a cover for the last 10. It was last inspected/registered for road use in 1990. Unfortunately, that is all I know about her past.

I got her in October, and have rebuilt the carb and got her running, now I am onto overhauling the breaks and getting her to move.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic