TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pacer Spindles for Racers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pacer Spindles for Racers?
    Posted: Mar/16/2019 at 8:55pm
Anyone know anything about these parts?

Just wondering about their suitability for Street rod usage. I know the  control arms are a separate availability problem, and a Fox body Mustang rack can be adapted to the Pacer setup (for not a lot more dinero than Rare Parts gets for Pacer rack mounting bushings).

Thoughts?
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2019 at 5:33am
Should be fine for a street rod. They look like standard Pacer parts to me, except for the ARGO in the steering knuckle. My guess is they are cast or forged specifically for racing, and used because of the flexibility of the three piece design (spindle, knuckle, steering arm). The steering arm is a bit different than the Pacer arm though. It might be longer for regular steering box use, can't tell from photo. They should be just as strong (more likely stronger) than stock parts.

I'm shocked to see someone making them, to tell the truth!!
Frank Swygert
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2019 at 6:32am
I'm with Farna, and those steering arms seem too long. Pacer has short arms, and are closer to my Mustang II spindle arm lengths.

The arms are key for rack purposes, and to me the rest of it won't make much of an improvement over stock, unless spindles are worn.

If forged, then it is worth the money, unless Pacer arms are now priced at $400.00 a set.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2019 at 5:56am
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

If forged, then it is worth the money, unless Pacer arms are now priced at $400.00 a set.

You must've priced Pacer parts from RARE PARTS.

Just wonder about that "7 degree" thing...
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2019 at 9:34am
Well, as for 7° angle... only good if your using the on dirt track. From what the auto cross and road coarse peeps say, too much angle for performance radials, unless you are old school.

NASCAR setups utilize such angles with race poly glass with interliner tires. Many think the interliner is for safety only, but it does help with sidewall regidity, but having taller sidewalls, the tread will lay more flat under loads, before roll over.

I kept my stock angle with adjustability, but modified for adjusted castor angle, which gives more benefit because there is not much room to adjust with stock setup.

Though, you could obtain a tubluar arm setup which will allow caster asjustment beyond what is obtained with stock.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Phitown Hustler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phitown Hustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2019 at 11:09am
The Pacer subframe swap were once very popular with old chevy and ford pickup truck owners. Not so much anymore but likely there are enough out there to justify new parts
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2019 at 8:33pm
The steering arm length is 5 3/8" as per the ARGO website.

http://www.argo-pace-rapco.com/suspension-components.html

mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2019 at 9:13pm
2 yr ago at p.r.e show in indy I seen some one had spindles for the pacers I will try to find the info
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2019 at 8:30pm
question, will pacer spindles/pins bolt onto a 73 Javelin disk brake  spindle upright ? Are the 4 holes the same bolt pattern? 
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2019 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Brad Brad wrote:

question, will pacer spindles/pins bolt onto a 73 Javelin disk brake  spindle upright ? Are the 4 holes the same bolt pattern? 

According to what I have read here all AMC spindles are the same bolt pattern. I have ordered these steering arms for my '64 Classic, so if they don't fit it will be an expensive mistake considering they are being sent half way around the world.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic