TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

199 Model 1931 Carb Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fisherwerke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 199 Model 1931 Carb Questions
    Posted: Mar/12/2019 at 7:17am
Hello everyone,

I recently brought home my wife's grandfathers 1968 American that has been sitting since 1993. I am tasked with getting it running for his upcoming 80th birthday. I have a few questions though. The carb was removed over a year ago for rebuild but then was replaced with an already rebuilt unit from Rock Auto. I am not sure where a few things go so I am here for assistance.

1. How does the throttle linkage get secured? There is a hole in the shaft for a cotter pin but it does not stick down far enough to do any good. 

2. Where does this spring attach to? 

3. Finally the new carb does not have this arm and spring. The threaded bit that holds it on is not on the new carb. It was cut off. Is this necessary? The carb is an Autoline form Rock Auto. 

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2019 at 9:15am
In the top picture a spring and washer normally go in there and the cotter pin gets put in with the hole inside the bracket, for lack of a better way of explaining it. 

Not sure on the long spring unless it has something to do with throttle return on the pedal linkage.

The short spring looks like it could be for throttle plate return making for a more positive low idle. Maybe the new one will work OK without it. 

First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2019 at 9:33am
On the rebuilt carburetor is there a spring around the white plastic accelerator pump that is not on the original carburetor? I'm thinking these do the same thing and are just two different styles. I believe the long spring is supposed to attach to a tab on the rotating throttle arm. It is the pedal return spring.

I see you are from grand rapids, my grandmother Marge lives there!

Edited by First_Gear - Mar/12/2019 at 9:35am
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2019 at 9:42am
It looks like you are almost there in getting it to run. But after getting it going with the new carb I'd get a kit from Napa and clean up the original. Then save the new one for a spare or sell it. 
Fisherwerke View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fisherwerke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2019 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by First_Gear First_Gear wrote:

On the rebuilt carburetor is there a spring around the white plastic accelerator pump that is not on the original carburetor? I'm thinking these do the same thing and are just two different styles. I believe the long spring is supposed to attach to a tab on the rotating throttle arm. It is the pedal return spring.

I see you are from grand rapids, my grandmother Marge lives there!

I will take a look when I get home this evening.

No kidding? Its a great city to live in. Have you visited?
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fisherwerke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2019 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

It looks like you are almost there in getting it to run. But after getting it going with the new carb I'd get a kit from Napa and clean up the original. Then save the new one for a spare or sell it. 

Already ordered a rebuild kit for the original carb. It will be staying with us for sure. 
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fisherwerke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2019 at 3:28pm
Alright still at work but another thing crossed my mind. Where does this line go? On my car there is just a piece of tape over that port....

rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2019 at 4:27pm
That vacuum line should go to the wiper motor, provided you have vacuum wipers and not electric.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2019 at 5:00pm
The vacuum line from the fuel pump goes to the left side of the wiper motor. The bottom port (air inlet) of the wiper motor stays open.  
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2019 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Fisherwerke Fisherwerke wrote:

I will take a look when I get home this evening.

No kidding? Its a great city to live in. Have you visited?

Yeah I was just there for New year's. Also note that the flat rod style fuel pump is no longer in production so don't take  it off unless you really need to. I'm guessing you could buy the round shaft one and swap the shafts if you really needed to.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic