TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

66' 232 air cleaner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 66' 232 air cleaner
    Posted: Mar/11/2019 at 10:51pm
Some folks here helped me find out that I actually do own the correct air cleaner for my car however mine is in really poor condition. I think I can knock the dents out but the whole snorkel is missing. Can someone measure the length and diameter of theirs so I can fabricate one? Some pictures of the seam on the bottom of the snorkel and how it is welded to the air cleaner assembly would also help me out.

PS: I'm going with the factory holley 1931 one bbl.
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2019 at 11:32pm
OK guys... I can't even figure out what I have. I think I have two halves of two different air cleaners.. Can someone tell me what this is? It looks like it has a small hole for a pcv breather and then no other holes to let any air into the engine. No evidence of there ever being a snorkel on this. Clearly the previous owner was not worried about performance.

Edited by First_Gear - Mar/13/2019 at 11:41pm
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2019 at 5:36am
There's about a 1/4 inch difference between the inside diameter of the top,  and outside diameter of the bottom,  about 1/8 inch all the way around,  that's what it breathed through.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2019 at 7:38am
The hole you have pictured is the hose inlet that comes from the top of the valve cover over to the breather. It is a molded hose and it vents the engine. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2019 at 7:46am
I may have misled you on the snorkel idea. Some years, the 1 barrel had a snorkel, and the 2 barrel did not (like '65 Americans). Get an air filter in that housing, and put it together. If you have the factory carb, you should be ok. You will need that molded hose mentioned above...a little hard to find, but they show up now and then.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2019 at 7:51am
That breather looks exactly like the one that was on my dad's 69 Rambler - 199 w/ Holley 1V. It had the moulded hose as mentioned.

My aunt had a 66 Classic 232 w/ Carter 2V. The breather had a snorkel on it.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2019 at 8:04am
AMC played around with 6 cylinder air cleaners a lot in 65-66, I don't know why. And when you look up in the parts book what filter you should have, you have to determine if you have a "United" air cleaner, or the other variety (that slips my mind). That's hard to know 53 years later when the official 'sticker' on the air cleaner may be gone or unreadable!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
DocLong View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocLong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2019 at 9:15am
Looks like a solid piece for resto
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2019 at 10:37am
I may have a complete air cleaner with the molded hose. If you are interested i will look.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2019 at 2:40pm
If you can't find a used one one of those molded hoses here on the forum, or at one of the AMC vendors Super Scout Specialties (an International Harvester aftermarket supplier) used to carry them for the AMC 232's that went into the IH Scouts.  They were reasonably priced too.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic