TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

66' 232 air cleaner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2019 at 11:07pm
Thanks everyone for solving the mystery! I don't think I will use this air cleaner. My valve cover does not have a hole for a breather and I don't like the design. It seems really restrictive. I think an early emissions effort? I will seek out the style they used with the snorkel. 

A little background on my 66 classic. My car has a tonn of junkyard parts from other AMCs. I think the PO "restored" it in the 80's. When I bought it, the front and back seats didnt match and the steering wheel doesn't match the interior etc.

Note: I am not using that holley 1920. It was "remanufactured" and the PO butchered the choke. I have a good used 1931 from ebay.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2019 at 1:39am
Originally posted by First_Gear First_Gear wrote:

It seems really restrictive. I think an early emissions effort?
There is zero emissions benefit to restricting the carburetor intake air. Quite the opposite. Hence why my 1984 AMC six has a giant snorkel on it's air cleaner.

Thank you.

I have never seen that style of air cleaner without a snorkel.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2019 at 8:42am
Yep. I think what you've got is not right. I don't think AMC used that molded breather hose from the valve cover  to the air cleaner in '66. I'm pretty sure that's newer, like 68 or 69 and up.  (California cars may have been different?) I believe what you pictured in the Wanted section is what you need.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2019 at 8:44am
You know when I see that engine in the picture, sitting between a couple of bicycle wheels, somebody could make a wicked "trike" with a 232!
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2019 at 9:54am
In my search I have only seen a couple pictures of this air cleaner set up and only on americans, no big body cars. Note it has a breather AND a hose into the air cleaner. It evidently was used in 66'. I was thinking that the idea was to suck some of the air through the vent in the valve cover. I'm not sure what the supposed benefit of this would be. My only thought was emissions.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2019 at 10:26am
I'm wondering if even that picture is factory or not.
I think when there is the molded hose (with a metal mesh filter in the air cleaner side) running from valve cover to cleaner, then it should have the sealed oil cap (vs. a vented one?)
But again, AMC did fiddle around with 6 cylinder air cleaners a lot in '65-66, and as I surmised earlier, California cars may have had a different set up in '66, as that is when their more stringent pollution controls kicked in. Maybe we need to find some '66 literature/ TSM pictures to help clarify!
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2019 at 10:56am
This has turned into a interesting thread. 

I have 2 air cleaners but cannot verify the exact years of either. Both have the molded vent hose and one has a snorkel, and the other no snorkel. 

I have never seen a breather without the molded hose and/or snorkel. Nor have i ever seen a valve cover without the hole for the molded hose. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
ambassador401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ambassador401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2019 at 1:48pm
I have that kind of breather in my 68 american with 199 1-V. I think 232's had the snorkel
68 American
68 Rebel
70 Javelin
71 Ambassador
73 Gremlin
A bunch of Jeeps
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2019 at 10:01pm
yes, AMC did have a lot of arbitrary-seeming air cleaner setups in the eary/pre-smog years...

the earliest snorkels seem to just suck air from OVER THERE, instead of RIGHT HERE, no reason i could puzzle out. but soon snorkels grew one of those thermostatic valves that sucked warmed air out of the tin shield around the exhaust manifold (faster warmup). then some with vacuum releases etc.

i was able t put together a decent-enough vent hose setup by using parts-store large grommets (for the hole) and then a plastic smog-type elbow that fits in the grommet, then a hose. then it's all "standard" parts but then i'm not one for worrying about original.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic